We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcases

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Suitcases

Im going to go suitcase shopping in the nest week or so.... Any suggestions on where to get lightweight suitcases from at a reasonable price? I was planning on taking my scales and go round weighing them all but felt a little silly......

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,447 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcases

Do you have any inshops?

The often do cases.

Shop shops like Priceless do a light weight holdall, one weighs just over a kilo and it has wheels.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcases

The Holdall bags (on wheels) are much lighter than a suitcase, if you buy a medium sized one rather than a large one everything will pack more compactly into it giving your clothes no room to "move around".

Look at Argos, they give the weight of most of the cases & holdalls they sell.

I have noticed that if you look at the labels; a lot of cases and bags have the weight on the label.

Happy Shopping!

England
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcases

I have just purchased 2 x 30" suitcases, stating they are the lightest in the world. They weigh 2.6kgs each they have wheels and handles etc., Argos sell these but have sold out but at least you can have a look at them on the web site £49.99 each however I got mine from Matalan £45 each. When I first saw them I didn't think much but upon looking at the raving reviews of them went straight back out and purchased 2.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,309 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcases

There is a new Argos Catalogue out on Saturday, incidentally.

£45 for a suitcase is more than I'd care to spend considering the bashing they get nowadays. My son bought a Samsonite one a few years back in Las Vegas. Couldn't register it for a lifetime guarantee, but it was the worst case we ever had. It bulged out at the bottom after a few journeys and then scraped the floor when pulling it. Not only that it was far too heavy.

It burst open on one trip to Cuba so now I've left it there as a wardrobe for the clothes, trainers, toiletries, etc that I leave there for future visits.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcases

If you have a TJ Hughes in your locality, I got a very nice lightweight suitcase from there, 5 kilos empty and it was oly £15. It was a while ago though, but if you are having a late holiday, they will no doubt turn up on sale if they have gone up a bit. It is not a top of the range case, but it does the job.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,309 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcases

5 kilos for a case is a bit on the heavy side, especially for those poor individuals who only have a 15 kg allowance.

England
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcases

This is the problem we had, we have Delsey cases absolutely fantasic ..only problem they weigh nearly 6 kilos ...fine if you have a 30kg allowance!!!

For the last couple of years we have ended up taking a holdall but they were too clumbersome hubby ended up getting a sweat on and thats before we haed even entered the airporrt at Manchester lol.

The reason I decided to pay £90 on 2 suitcases was because Thomas Cook want to change me £90 per extra 5 kgs return, they shoukld rename themselves to Dick Turpin travel!!! So by paying out £90 worked out the same as paying for an extrra 5kg allowance on one trip.

If the cases don't last any longer than one travel they have a 10 year guarantee anyway so I have nothing to loose ...unless the whole contents of my cases explode and all the contents spew out in the hold of the plane lol.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 20:37
Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitcases

My case was £22 from Primark, bright pink and weighs less than 3kg

England
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitcases

dramaqueen what sizes were they please?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitcases

Hi,

thanks for all the replies!! I've not actually bought one yet, I went to matalan and saw the one that was mentioned further up - the 'Lightest Suitcase in World'. It was really light, the ones they had were the £35 one which would be smaller than the one one mentioned above and it was 2.17kg or something like that.... spending £70 on 2 cases is a lot... Im used to borrowing my parents suitcases!! But their's are 5kg and our luggageallowance is 15kg - I so wish now I'd opted for more - never mind though. The Primark one sounds good value.... depending on the size though.... LooneyLou's holdall on wheels idea is good too..... Thanks for all the suggestions!!