We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun cream question

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sun cream question

Just wondered if anyone can help, I know sun creams have no use by date but I have one un-used bottle it;s 2 years old but does its ability to protect you from the sun decrease with the time or is it safe to use?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun cream question

Ooooooh that's a toughie.... I'm not really sure but I don't think I'd risk it in Cuba.... the sun is STRONG!!!

Someone more knowledgeable may be along shortly.

:-)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun cream question

Maybe they do, but I'm sure it will be OK to use. Maybe just have to apply it more frequently than usual, I'm not sure.. My suncream is over a year old and it was OK when I used it last in Cuba.

St.Jerome, Quebec
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun cream question

The sunscreens I have have a "use by date" printed on the bottles. Have you checked yours carefully. Anyway as mentioned by Bellagio, I'm sure you could still use it, but I too would apply it more frequently.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun cream question

Most of mine have use by dates on . They also have an emblem on them that is represents an open bottle cap. Next to that it will say, 6, 12 , 18 ,24.

That is, once opened, use within that period to get best possible cover.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun cream question

Just checked a Boots Soltan with Insect repellent that I have had for at least a year and there is no visible sell by date on that.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun cream question

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/64112

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun cream question

Thanks for your research, mine has no date on it..... it is a soltan that is the bottle in question

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun cream question

Looks like it will be OK for up to 3 years according to the link, anyway.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun cream question

Hi,

Haven't used Boots Soltan since it stained some clothing.

Didn't have a leg to stand on as reading the instructions it said not to get in contact with clothing!

Ray

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun cream question

I asked the pharmacist this question in May - there was a sale on and I wanted to buy more than one. He said at least 3 years in normal storage conditions, so you're good to go. He said maybe even beyond that - again depending on storage conditions. Most brands do not list an expiry date but usually do list a lot number and manufacturing date.