We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luna vs Mares

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luna vs Mares

Hola,

Just wondering...when booking to stay at the SRLM, can you specifically request to stay on the Mares side and be assured that you won't be bumped to the Luna side once you arrive?

Strangely, when checking prices through tripcentral there doesn't seem to be a means of choosing one side over the other. I'll have to ask them about this directly, but it does seem odd at first glance. Perhaps it's simply a case of "ask and you shall receive"?

On the Mares side, are there any suites available? If so, are the suites all ocean view?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luna vs Mares

you can e mail the hotel and request which side you prefer...but im not sure if you will be guarenteed the part of the hotel you have want ...i stayed on the mares side back in 2004 and had a brilliant time whilst also being able to enjoy the facilities on the luna side...

bellagio on here will probably be able to give you more advice as well as the e mail address for the hotel

cheers

terry

London, Canada
Level Contributor
838 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luna vs Mares

it can depend on with whom your package is booked. In the past Transat holidays booked their clients on the Mares side whereas Noli Tours booked theirs on the Luna side. Air Canada, Hola Sun andSun Wing I can't say for sure although one year when I went Sun Wing they were using the Luna side.

You could try this email to enquire, no guarantees but worth a try.

jefe.recepcion.srm@solmeliacuba.com

Your other questions I can't answer since my preference has been Luna i've always stayed there.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 13:22
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luna vs Mares

I would contact trip central direct ..they have always been very helpful

when I have used them....

I also learned something ..its best to phone to book because

sometimes there are other incentives that are not available on line

when booking...this advice given to me by itravel2000.com which

I find a great site as well

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luna vs Mares

I found my price online, and went to Sears. They matched my price at no charge. There they were able to put in a request that we had second level or above....which originally wasn't granted, but after requesting to change rooms we moved from the ground level garden view (not very appealing) to the second level ocean view room which was much nicer. So I guess even if you put in a request, there is no guarantee.

I think even if you got bumped you'd still enjoy your holiday...it's a gorgeous resort...the rooms were a bit shabby (Mares side), but everything else was fine.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luna vs Mares

We booked with Thomas Cook and in their website the hotel is called Sol Rio de Luna only- no mention of Mares so one may presume your room would be on the Luna, but our room was on the MAres side 1st floor despite me having emailed in advance for Luna side ground floor. The Mares room we were given felt completely out of the way - we were overlooking the front entrance but a bit further to the side, felt really not a part of the hotel. We informed receptioon of our request and they gave us another room in block 5 of the Luna side, this was a much nicer room although still dated, but the location was much better as you were only minutes away from the luna facilities and minutes from the mares facilities and we had a beach view we we didnt in the Mares room. Also the beds were bigger and so was the room.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luna vs Mares

Hi there CrazyCanukontario!

if you book directly on line with Nolitours they will give you the option when booking on line.You can choose either side. regular rooms or suites

The suites on the Mares side are ocean view even if they aren't indicated as such.

We checked on all of this, 10 days ago, when booked our trip leaving from Montreal on January 23rd 2011.

We booked a regular room garden view but our friends who are flying in with us wanted a suite or guaranteed ocean view. They opted for a regular room but with a the superior package that give you many perks. including the Oceanview.

Here's the direc link:

www.nolitours.com

good luck!

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
450 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luna vs Mares

what side would be best to stay with a 10 yr old, i would prefer a quiter spot if possible...still got ages but cant wait....

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,136 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luna vs Mares

The Luna is definitely the quieter side:

…photobucket.com/albums/r133/bellagio123/Cub…

Perth, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luna vs Mares

So I booked our trip and paid for ocean view and requested Luna because I wanted it quiet. I guess that means I'll get Mares instead?

Missy jane

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Luna vs Mares

Hola Fishasfun!

Thanks for that. Do you know how many suites there are on the Mares side....all ocean-view? We'll all likely get one...dead center, third floor, if they gang them together.

I think we may end up booking our trip through my bank's travel subsidary as we'll receive "double" the travel reward points that way. I've heard we simply need to tell them what we want, and they'll get it for us...no problem. But you can be sure I'll also send an email to the resort before we go to confirm they have our reservations. We don't want any surprises once we arrive.

January 23rd for you guys huh? Amazing time to go! You can leave those Montreal snow drifts behind and trade them for the powdery white sands of Playa Esmeralda...beautiful! I'm envious! :-)

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca