We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring for the locals...

kitchener
Level Contributor
147 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to bring for the locals...

I would like to buy something for the locals that is fairly priced so that I can buy a bunch of small things to take with us that they can use...something useful...I have heard about bringing shoe polish because they can use that and make money polishing peoples shoes? Is this true? Any other suggestions?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What to bring for the locals...

Jimbo, please believe me, the pins are very much "alive" and still being circulated in Cuba, I witnessed a couple leaving some pins on the breakfast table as a tip for the waiter & waitress in their section, my husband and I sat in total shock and disbelief; we patiently waited and watched for the waiter to collect his tip... he then sidled up to the waitress, nudged her, carefully and discreetly opened his hand; they both lloked down at his hand, laughed at each other and the waiter walked off shaking his head.

On another occassion, an elederly couple were giving canadian pins as tips throughout their vacation, at the end of their vacation the old boy came to my friend and I and proudly "pinned" us with a Canadian flag.

My friends have so much Canadian "flag" emblazoned "gifted" stuff that I am still in disbelief of it all and I really really really do not understand why people find it necessary to take this stuff abroad to give away..... mind boggling!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What to bring for the locals...

Reminds me of the time we were having dinner with friends and some touron interrupted our evening by coming over and handing them a stupid little bag with dollar store stuff, including, wait for it, a pair of nail clippers with a canadian flag on them. I was furious at first that she had interrupted us but we had a good laugh at this woman's expense. People will always think they know best, no matter how many posts on here telling them it is just wrong.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What to bring for the locals...

I have a friend who has a bum bag full or canadian flag related items, from the pins to small clocks.

He proudly brings out an array of items after a meal and lets the server choose what item they wish.

Like LL said, as soon as my friend leaves the area the server looks to the ceiling and tuts and laughs.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: What to bring for the locals...

“People will always think they know best, no matter how many posts on here telling them it is just wrong.”

Actually, I believe that some people DO learn from others, and have changed their gifting practices as a result of reading other perspectives and questioning their own practices which they may have never done before. Some people will never change, but some will!

Edited: 21 March 2011, 15:02
Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: What to bring for the locals...

LL: I was talking about people wearing the pins to distinguish them from other nationalities, or in my old age, LOL, that is what I meant to say. Really though if people are handing them out like candy, there is probably a big dumpsite somewhere in Cuba, full of pins.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: What to bring for the locals...

LOL LOL @ Bellagio; so true my friend, so true !!

lol... I was looking at sportsdirect.com and they had so many tee-shirts and "stuff" relating to England and football in their sale at dirt cheap prices that I could have taken to Cuba for Friends but I could never have found it in my heart to even purchase it, let alone give it to anyone...lol..lol....

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: What to bring for the locals...

Jimbo. please may I ask you a question without you thinking I am rude, as I sure dont intend my question to be that way.... I am intrigued, so please; if you wouldnt mind, can you tell me why you take your Canadian flag on vacation with you and fly it from your balcony?... Thanks Lou

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: What to bring for the locals...

The thing about the Dollar Store, everything costs at least $1.00 which at todays exchange rates is almost 1 CUC. Makes sense to me that money doesn't take up space in my luggage and the tips can be used to buy things people, REALLY need.

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: What to bring for the locals...

I don't take my Canadian flag, I take my provincial flag, it is only to see how many areas of Canada go there at the same time. There are 10 provinces and 3 territories in Canada. Easier than trying to ask everyone where they are from. It was a thread on this forum somewhere, that started the idea.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: What to bring for the locals...

It's a Cape Breton flag he's flying, it's so the rest of us Capers can find the party spot that night! ;)