We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

am i missing something

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
am i missing something

seems a lot of people dont seem to be happy to be mixing with the cubans judging by some reviews, i like to meet different people when i go abroad, am i missing something

London, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: am i missing something

cannot agree with you more paul the reason people are complaining may have to do with the fact that it used to much harder for cuban nationals to stay in the all inclusives and tourist would have the place to theirselves.

now especially in the summerholidays more cuban guest are staying in the same hotels as other tourist and people start moaning about the very people who"s country they are visiting.

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: am i missing something

And those are the same people who complain when they go to a tourist attraction in their own country and complain it is too busy because all the foreigners are there visiting their great country.

From my understanding, I don't think too many Cubans complain that we tourists are occupying their beaches and making it too busy for them to enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: am i missing something

just find it strange how people complain about cubans in cuba

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: am i missing something

yes...remember ...WE are guests in THEIR country.... and if we had to live like they do we would be rioting in the streets and marching on on our heads of states when they were sitting in parliment

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: am i missing something

Amen to that! One of the main reasons I travel is to get out and *meet* the local people. Folks who b*tch and moan about the Cubans in Cuba should not venture out of their homes....

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,332 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: am i missing something

I have traveled a lot in my short life.

Some travel has been for my work, others times it has been for pure pleasure.

The difference with some is, I travel to experience other cultures and peoples. Some people are just tourists, who want to go and see, but not experience.!!!!!!!!!!

Cuba is a wonderful place, the people of that nation are some of the kindest caring sharing people.

Let them experience their own hotels and beaches.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: am i missing something

Besides the fact that a lot of Cubans work and save hard all year round to be able to take their families on vacation for just ONE DAY to a hotel there are also many ex pat Cubans & their families (who are now allowed to travel more freely to Cuba since Obama lifted many travel restrictions imposed on them) who are staying in hotels when visiting family and are wrongly mistaken for "locals" ~ However, just like us; everyone of them has paid to be there and just like all nationalities there are the nice ones; some that irritate and some that can be ignorant & rude....Thats Life !!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: am i missing something

When we were last in Cuba we met and enjoyed the company of a lovely Dutch/Cuban family, (the gentleman was Dutch, the lady and her daughter Cuban) and their friends. We had a truly wonderful and enlightening experience getting to know them all.

On the other hand there were a few Brits and Canadians that we deliberately avoided due to their behaviour and attitude.

Take all people as you find them, don't prejudge and then decide for yourself who is worth spending time with... everyone is different and expectations vary so much that it's difficult for one person to tell another who or what to like or dislike.

Just my tuppence worth :-)

southern ontario
Level Contributor
935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: am i missing something

I don't think the complaints have been about the Cubans themselves but more about the resorts running out of things when people go crazy at the all inclusive and drain the bars and buffets.

I haven't seen it myself, but I would be upset by some of the stuff if it's true.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: am i missing something

also i would like to point out that Cubans ...if they are lucky enough to be ALLOWED to be a guest at a resort hotel do not get to go en-mass unless it it is low season when a lot off hotels are actually shut down or only half open and we as tourists get cut rate pricing because it is also hurricane season

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca
Recent Conversations