We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks?

Strange question this but do you get any type of shark or barracuda within about 100yards of the shore line near Brisas? Also any sting rays there in the same range

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks?

Barracuda almost for sure. Sharks are less likely. Stingrays if you are lucky. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks?

I have seen both while snorkeling there. The shark was a reef shark, not dangerous.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks?

This will sound like a dumb question but anyone familiar with the temperament of a barracuda? I've heard they will bite and can be quite viscous if provoked. I saw several during my snorkeling in Cayo Guillermo and they tended to stay away for the most part. Usually there was one under the dock at the resort and I saw a few on our catamaran trip in the area but keeping their distance. The g/f was majorly freaked out, I didn't mind them but was a little extra cautious just in case. Also saw several stingrays but they were no threat and stayed away although very well disguised and I can see people stepping on them. Never saw any sharks in all my time in Cuba but it would be quite the scene as I have a slight phobia of them lol.

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks?

I was always told while snorkelling in Puerto Rico years ago to avoid wearing anything that would cause a flash(shiny watch or jewellry) and I have always followed that advice and not had a problem. Have had barracuda swimming on both sides of me without incident. As for sharks, my wife asked the guy that took us out on the hobbie cats if their were sharks and he told her not to worry, they only like people from Nova Scotia, lol. I have never seen a shark while snorkelling, nor any rays.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks?

It seems interesting they may be attracted to visual signs like shinny stuff I know that vibrations will attract them as it seems only barracuda are in the 100 yard casting distance, as for the temperament I am led to belive that the american style of barracuda can be quite vilant but that tends to be towards spear fishermen, with blood already in the water.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks?

I have never had a problem with Barracuda, and I see them all the time. They are curious about you, but will move off if approached. Usually I see the smaller juveniles, but have seen some approaching 4 feet, although size is hard to judge in the water. I have seen a nurse shark, and lots of rays of various types. Again, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 01:32
Nottingham
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks?

Hi Steve,

Your query seems to be of a fishing nature rather than a snorkeling one. If so you will get better results in boat fishing rather than beach.

Ray

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks?

We saw a massive Barracuda come by our pedalo just off the shore at Sol Rio. Not sure about stingrays or sharks but also watch out for jellyfish, my sister got stung twice after jumping into the ocean from a catamaran.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks?

Never had a problem with the Barracuda we ran into while snorkling & swimming with the sting rays in the Carribean (not in Cuba). The guide told everyone to come see the fish, he didn't even make it out to be a big deal that a Barracuda was swimming amongst us. It just stayed in one spot or slowly swam amongst us then stopped, very bold but calmly.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks?

in answer to No 7 yes my enquire is of a fishing nature, I was just interested if anything came within distance of the shoreline. I will indeed be out on a boat but it is a lot cheaper off the beach at nigh (ish), In answer to others if you are snorkelling with the american types of barracuda they are never of a problem unless there is blood in the water, sharks mainly require it as well

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca