We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

school group going to cuba, destination final :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Topic
school group going to cuba, destination final :)

Hi all,

After hours in brainstorming meetings and too many destiniation changes, we have finnaly come to our decision that our annual school trip will be to Guardalavaca this year :) Not your average school trip , however a colleague has done this trip at his previous school and has itenary ideas etc.

Letters went out last week and the deadline for them is tommorow. I'm now expecting around 50 students as 38 have already given permission slips. I've been in contact with first choice (not a fan of thomson group but I'm not paying so hey ho) and looking to stay at the brisas guardalavaca, is this a sutaible hotel for a school party .

Thanks Tom

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

My concern is that if you read tom_tom other posts he is jumping from NYC to skiing in NY state to Sharm El Sheikh to DR with this school trip.

He does not actually come across as a person who could organize for 41 at an AI resort in Cuba. He asked if Brisas was a" suitable hotel for a school party."

Well any AI is suitable for a party with free flowing liquor and bar tenders

who do not care who they serve and all kinds of places to wander around. With a group that large you would have to rent your own bus to take them on any day trips.

I suggested Disney simply because it would keep the kids in a controlled environment with lots to do daily with their time.

I agree totally that travel affords a great experience for our kids. But it also has to include some structure. My kids took school trips with the high school band to many countries. It was well structured and well organized and the chaparones hand picked with 6 students per adult.

I guess I have seen school trips gone wrong as gloriao23 has experience and it had nothing to do with how gifted the students were or what country they travelled from- Young people are young people irregardless of their marks and place of origin.

Call me a party pooper.

No Brisas would not be a good resort for a "school party"

Edited: 14 September 2012, 02:01
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

After looking at your recent postings, I am somewhat puzzled. Other than the DR, have you even been to Cuba to correctly assess this destination for your students? You seem to be all over the map with ideas and in one posting you mention that the trip is free for yourself, but you must evaluate what the children are benefiting from the trip. As well, the cost of the trip seems to be fluctuating in price. It would be best to contact the hotel in question to see if they are amenable to having such a large school group. Some resorts have had problems and therefore certain resorts are more accommodating to groups of students and others have more restrictions. I cannot see how you have sent out permission forms without contacting the hotel in question to evaluate the situation prior to committing to this hotel and location. I would choose several other locations over the one you have selected.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

Hi all, today I handed students a letter from myself which informed parents that cuba would no longer be the destination of choice.As reccomenedn my next destination is disney world, hopefully this ones really is final. I -so far- haven't received any emails with any problems about destination change - so far so good.

When I'm posting on here with all the seperate destinations, its just exploring ideas and doing my research. Thanks for all the info, it really did open my minds, should have thought about that first.

Tom

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

tom_tom565:

Probably a wise decision in the end. Cuba would not be my choice for a school trip.

nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

tom

You will all have a wonderfull time at disney.

If you think you got alot of replies on here wait till you start posting on the orlando forum.lol.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

Disney World now has it's own forum.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1954828-i20534-k45…

47. Re: school group going to cuba, destination final :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:15