We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
178 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

We are going to SLRM in Feb and would like to go to Santiago. An organised trip would be fine but there seems to be a price difference between the trip offered by Thomson and by Thomas Cook (approx 30cuc). If the prices are up to date is there a significant difference between the two?

Any information on what to expect from our day would be useful - all I know at the moment is that it will be a long day!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Elisa M:

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Can you just confirm the price you paid please? I think it should be 69 CUC.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

WRONG... ha ha .......Thomson/First choice charge 59 cuc adults and 30 cuc children for the day trip to Santiago.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

The Thomas Cook excursion is more expensive as you are driven around in American cars; which is a good thing considering how hot it gets in Santiago.

sussex
Level Contributor
134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Thinking about doing this trip in Jan, I was wondering if I should book before I go but would it be cheaper to book in resort? On Thomson's website this trip is £49pp. Also going with Thomson could I still book this with TC if so what is the price difference and is it worth it?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Check out mooog's reply #17 which details the Thomas Cook trip. You can book the Thomas Cook one at the resort if you like, just see the TC rep.

I believe the TC trip is 99 CUC so quite a lot dearer than the Thomson one.

sussex
Level Contributor
134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Thanks first time to Cuba so a bit unsure on conversion rates and I think I read on here not to trust online rates so is there a significant difference between £49 and 59cuc?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Bellagio I stand corrected, I lost my glasses whilst at Brisas and am really struggling with small print (and distance for that matter)... its 69 for adults and 42for kids. I updated my website today and have just updated my inside pages too.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 00:02
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

£49 is around 76 CUC's. You can keep track of the actual exchange rate by following this thread which either CubaJack or myself update as soon as the exchange rates are released by the Cuban Bank:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…44229028

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
178 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

Thanks everyone - this is just the sort of info I wanted! TC trip does look interesting if it involves classic cars. We have been to Havana a couple of times and have never ridden in one yet - deffo on our 'to do'list!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,305 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Santiago day trip Thomson's or Thomas Cook?

elsieroe:

I'm sure you will enjoy Santiago de Cuba. It is definitely well worth a visit when staying at the Guardalavaca resorts.