We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gatwick-holguin

s wales
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
gatwick-holguin

Countdown starts now as just over two weeks to go to our hols at Srlm.We are lucky enough to go on holiday a couple of times each year but have always managed to fly from Birmingham or Bristol so we know what to expect from their check in desks and security . But its about five years since we have been to Gatwick so dont know how bad it is there. If we arrive at check in 2.5 before the flight is that likely to be enough time? Its a Thursday flight at 940am. Thanks Rob

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gatwick-holguin

That will be OK. The queues are nowhere near as bad as they used to be at check in. However as soon as you have checked in go straight to security as that is where there are usually quite long lines.

s wales
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gatwick-holguin

Thanks Bellagio thats great.The nearest we ever got to being late and believe me we always check in early, was at Birmingam. We checked the monitors as there were no calls and saw the gate was due to open, thought lets go to the loo and get some bottled water and i am in the cubicle and I can hear our names being called!! Oh my god, my Husband was outside waiting and he hadnt heard the first call so we sprinted minus shoes in my case , totally mortified.It will never happen again

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gatwick-holguin

Hope you have a wonderful time at the SRLM. Please do come back and tell us all about it on your return.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
521 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gatwick-holguin

If you are running late there is a priroty desk you can use but unfortunately you have to pay. Should not be too bad though and as stated above more likely to get stuck in security.

s wales
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gatwick-holguin

Thank you! Will never miss the gate again like that. We were so embarassed

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gatwick-holguin

markandbert:

Must be so embarrassing to hear your names called to hurry to the gate to board.

s wales
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gatwick-holguin

Ii was so concerned that we had held up the plane and other travellers thar i kept apologising to staff.We were in departures 2 hours before we were due to board and still dont know how we messed up but it wont happen again!!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gatwick-holguin

As the saying goes; 'Once bitten, twice shy.'.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
733 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gatwick-holguin

I'm on the same flight as you Rob, I'm staying at PP.

In the past I there have been quite long queues at check-in, at worst about 20 to 30 mins to get to the desk.

The Thomas Cook check-in desks are handling all flights, not just Cuba.

Then you have to wait at security, the earlier you are the shorter the queue (of course!)

But, as Bellagio, said things are improving now.

They usually call passengers to the departure lounge 1 to 1 1/4 hours before scheduled departure but then you wait there for what seems ages.

I'll be using the overnight check-in service and then plan to get to the airport by about 6.00 am.

Plenty of time to buy suncreams etc after security then have get a good breakfast. The meal isn't served unitl about 2 hours into the flight so I'm getting hungry by then if I've not had breakfast!

Time for a bit of 'people watchng' too!

Hope you enjoy SRLM.

Rodney

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gatwick-holguin

Always best to have a good breakfast at the airport IMHO as that airline food is not to everyone's taste. It certainly isn't to mine.