We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Hi everybody,

we are traveling to SRLM in 11 days and I was wandering if we would need a mosquito spray this time of the year?

Another question would be in regards to Hobie Cats - do you have to book those very early, do they book fast and for how long is a ride?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Always a good idea to have bug repellent with you. If you don't need it, bonus!

Hobie Cat use will depend a lot on the other guests that happen to be there at the time. I haven't been at this hotel in awhile, but the length of ride often depends on how many others are booking them, and how bored the sailor is that day. A decent tip doesn't hurt, if you plan on sailing every day. And if things aren't busy, a polite request to stay out a bit longer may work as well. (if you are a sailor, it is worth asking if you can helm, once you get to know the staff.)

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Thank you very much for your kind reply, I am not a sailor, but would love to have the experience since I have never tried it. I will probably pack too much stuff anyway, but since I have run out of mosquito spray, was wandering if I need it.

Hope not - but will have one anyway :)

Canada
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Definitely bring repellant.

Getting out on a hobie cat is one of the great experiences that are included at an AI. Take advantage of it! Find out when they start and get down to the beach early. Often the sea gets too rough and they will shut it down later on in the day. Mornings are the best time to be out. Tip your captain if you are happy with the ride.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 04:12
Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

We were in Cayo Santa Maria a few weeks ago and the Mosquitos were BRUTAL. Bring big spray for sure.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

I am happy I asked about the spray , will definitely bring repellent.

Since no previous experience with hobie cats, I am not sure how much is the usual tip for a ride? What would be a decent amount, not too little, not too much?

Thank everybody for the input, I sure do appreciate it a lot.

Is there anything that you did not bring to Cuba, but wish you did?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,751 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Tamara:

Mosquitos are usually at their worst after rain followed by hot and humid weather, also if stagnant or standing water is nearby. If there is a problem with mosquitos most resorts 'fog' morning and night in an attempt to control the problem.

You are fairly safe in the daytime without repellent but it should definitely be applied in the early evening

before venturing out of your room.

As regards tipping the hobie cat captain 1 CUC is quite adequate/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Thanks Bellagio for your answer. I do not mind tipping frequently and do like to acknowledge everybody's efforts.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Ask for antonio.he was experience and we had fun sailing with him.my wife and I will be there from 24 june.for one week.the best cuba resort.our 3rd time there.have a fun. Vesa toronto

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Hi Vesa, thanks for the tip! We are arriving on June 29th, maybe we will meet you somewhere around the hobie cats, :) I see there are a lot of returning guests, which is usually the good sign, this is going to be our first time in Holguin area and only second time in Cuba. Hope to take advantage of most stuff offered by the resort, I am a little bit worried that I have read it is a low season and everything might not be available, but am sure that the beach will be where we spend most time anyway.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
482 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes and Hobie Cats SRLM

Tamara - we just arrived home this morning - no mosquitoes at SRLM even though the skies were overcast. Totally agree, that the Gaviota crew (including Antonio) are great this year. The nautical centre opens at 10 am - you will have a great time..