We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SRLM with Sunwing in November

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SRLM with Sunwing in November

Hi everyone

My husband and I are thinking of going to this resort November 15-22. We had a few questions we were hoping someone could answer:

-if you book with Sunwing, which side of the resort on you on?

-how many a la cartes can you get with Sunwing?

-where is the best snorkelling from the resort?

-what is the water/weather like at this time of year? We went to Varadero last year in November and it was cold, rainy and a red flag everyday but one.

Thanks for your help!

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

-I booked with Sunwing and you could request either side, I don't think one is reserved for various tour companies. Best to e-mail the resort with your request. We were on the Luna side because we prefer the quiet. The Mares is a little livelier and closer to the main lobby bar however. Just depends on what you like.

-You get 2 or 3 a la cartes a week (I think it was 3, but we only ended up doing 2 so I'm not positive). The French one is VERY popular and probably the best a la carte I've been to in all my trips to Cuba. The Mexican one is also very good, but not on the same level. I believe the third a la carte is an Italian one.

-The best snorkeling is on the far right of the beach (if you're facing the ocean) right in front of the Paradisus. The catamaran excursion actually stop in the same spot and you'll see it go by every day. I snorkel a lot and I really enjoyed it. The beach is absolute powder with no rocks or coral on the SRLYM side. The Paradisus side is very rocky and a poor section of beach. You wouldn't think a few hundred yards would make a difference but it really does. The rocks and coral do make for better snorkeling as fish have a place to hide. I saw lots of fish.

-Can't speak to the weather in November as we always go late April and love it. Weather when we were there was pretty near the same as in Varadero during that week. Not a huge difference IMO. Holguin is typically known to get a bit more rain than Varadero as it is more mountainous. You take your chance going off season for weather.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 18:15
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

Thanks IslanderOnTheGo, your information was very helpful!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
482 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

family-flyers - sorry I am a little late on this one. Islander on the Go is absolutely correct about the snorkeling near the Paradisus. .

We have been to SRLM several times in November and found that you might need a light sweater in the evenings. Better to be prepared than not. Overall, the weather was perfect. Re the a la cartes, I believe it is still 2 per person per week. Make you bookings at the Luna reception asap since the French restaurant, if that is where you choose to go, fills up very quickly. Menus are also available for your perusal. Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

Thanks for the info conchesdojump. Were there many red flag days in November?

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

Family flyers - sorry conches can't respond since her computer is down at the moment. We don't remember any red flag days but the wind does seem to pick up in the afternoon at Playa Esmeralda. If you are planning water activities, you might wish to book in the mornings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

Thanks Glen S. We booked our trip yesterday--so excited!! Hope conchesdojump gets her computer fixed soon :)

7. Re: SRLM with Sunwing in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:15