We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

Which Akaslompolo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
8 posts
Save Topic
Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

Prices seem to vary from 5 euros to a trip costing nearly 200 euros each!!! We are on a budget - what is the difference, and will my kids (6 and 3) notice the difference?

The same seems to go for husky and reindeer rides? Everything seems to be 98 euros each.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

Prices of what? A visit to Santa, or Santa's visit to your accommodation, an excursion to see Santa... Read the descriptions. I guess the 5€ thingy is a visit to Santa in the Lapp Village: www.lappvillage.fi/en_father_christmas.html . It does not include any transfers or other services. Some of them will include a snowmobile ride (snow permitting) to Santa's secret hideaway....

kent
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

yes thats the one for 5 euros, i understand it won't include any sleighrides etc, but will the actual visit be any different?? i beleive i can buy a gift from the shop at the lapp village for santa to give to kids.............. we are going to do huskies etc as a seperate trip, I just would imagine seeing santa is the same wherever really????

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

Without details I'm having to guess, but would the €200 option be Joulukka? This has the reputation of a luxury service and that plus transport from Äkäslompolo would account for the price tag.

If money's tight you should order house wine but don't expect a rare vintage.

kent
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

This is very helpful thankyou - the 195 euro trip is with Yllas adventures and the 5 euro is a visit to the christmas shop in the village - is the actual Santa part the same thing?

As i mentioned we would like to do the other activities seperate.

Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

We did both santa things about 4 years ago now. The 5 euro one in the shop we did first and it was good. We had a meal in the restaurant (Poro's - great food) next to the shop and booked the kids in. The waitress told us when it was the kids turn and I went up with the younger one to a room above the shop where the lovely santa talked to my son in great detail about Christmas eve etc for about 5 mins. Because he told santa where we lived (Islington) santa was very knowledgable and said he would land the reindeer in the Arsenal stadium and have a look around. The extra detail convinced my son that he knew what he was doing! Then two days later we had paid for the snowmobile into the forest trip which was also good but expensive(they pick you up from your cabin) and it was the same santa!! This was handy(and entirely coincidental) as my eight year old would easiiy have worked out if they were different santas. On a budget - you could easily get away with the Snow village one in my opinion.

kent
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

Thank you SOOOoo much - you have really put my mind at rest - did you also do the sleigh rides and huskies with them??

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

You need to check how long the rides are for 98 euros. You get better value for money if you book direct with the husky farms or the reindeer farms but if you havent got time to do that check what you get against a good company like Snow Fun safaris http://www.snowfunsafaris.com/ They answer emails quickly and the trips are good. We now book our husky rides with Ramis now http://www.ramishuskies.fi/en#home-module but for the first time there and with no car go to http://www.konijanka.fi/index.php?lang=en for a great day out for about 7 euros a head. Good toboggan hill, animals (inside and out) huskys, small kids snow mobiles, fire to toast food on, cafe and you can book horse sleighs, husky rides directly with them. Another good cheap day out is the visitors centre up by just before the ski slopes on the akas side, there is a good cafe and you can hire snow shoes for not much and follow their trails in the woods on the side of the fell. For younger kids tobogganing at the bottom of the ski slopes cant be beaten.

8. Re: Santa prices vary so much in Yllas - whats the difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2015, 18:17