We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel magna graecia, corfu

Teesside
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
hotel magna graecia, corfu

Hi, anyone been to this hotel recently? thought it looked OK then read the reviews but they are very mixed so hard to make a decision.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

Hi,

Just got back and we stayed at the telemachos which is supposed to be worse! Granted the bed was hard but we only used it for a base. We spoke to a few people from magna hotel and they slated it. But as I said, ours is supposed to be worse.

If you are getting a cheap holiday, flights,hotel,ins,transfers etc (ours for £250 for 11nights) you just can't moan regardless.

Just don't go fully inclusive and get out and see corfu! We only slept at our hotel and was never there! If the bed is uncomfy.. buy a cheap duvet. If the breakfast is crap like ours was... go to 'sconto' supermarket at the gate and buy some cerial. Take a travel kettle.

Good luck.

Corfu
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

Telemachos Hotel in Dassia is a 2/2.5* Hotel depending on who you book it through. The Hotel Magna Graecia in Dassia, with, incidentally, an approach road at least as steep, if not more so, than the approach road to the Telemachos Hotel, is classed as 4*.

There would be something very far wrong with the Hotel classification system if Telemachos Hotel was NOT of a worse standard than Magna Graecia.

It is absolutely ridiculous to even try comparing a 2/2.5*Hotel with a 4*Hotel.

Since bettybettybetty, by her own admission, stayed at the Telemachos Hotel, and stated in the review of that Hotel posted under that name that "I can't complain at a 2.5* Hotel!", it seems strange that the reviewer should then state that the breakfast was crap. (The reviewer could not even tell the difference between sausages which were cooked in the oven and sausages which were 'deep-fried'). Is that not a complaint about the Hotel? If you have not stayed in other Hotels, it is unfair to pass any comments about them, "if's" or not.

By the way, cornflakes, sugar puffs etc. are cereals.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 22:26
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

Someone can't read properly??? 'lephouy'

Yes the sausages was crap but it wasn't a 5 star hotel was it? The hotel was nice and as was th staff. Of cource I know the difference between sauages! I just stated that the Greeks don't know what a sausage is and gave us deep fried hot dogs. Someone really hasn't been paying attention or suffers from dyslexia? I wasn't comparing the Magna hotel to the Telemachos, just stating that people we met were complaining a lot about it. 'lephouy' should actually read a post instead of making things up! Yes I spelt cereal wrong... oh no, it's the end of the world! At least I haven't misread an ENTIRE post and then just made things up! Very sad.

Corfu
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

The point of the forum is to be traveller-friendly, which means giving good advice to prospective travellers. It is hardly sensible to suggest that travellers should consider buying cheap duvets just to put on beds to make them more comfortable. The cheapest duvets are usually thin, and those available in Corfu are no exception, which means that they probably would not make much difference anyway, and the cost, for a family of three, for example, would still be quite high. Since most families would not be likely to have room in their luggage to take, again for example, three duvets, even cheap ones, home with them, since even thin duvets are quite bulky, they would probably have to leave them behind.

Not really good advice.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

I,ve never done this ( I like hard beds) but I do know of prople buying those cheap blow up lilos to make their beds bearable.

Half blown up, they make a good softer base for those who are in difficulty.

Unless you are having trouble yourself, it is very difficult to imagine the problems a too hard bed can cause some visitors..This could be a solution! :O) :O) :O)

Edited: 03 December 2010, 09:04
Corfu
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

Good idea. Lilos could be folded up virtually flat, and are very light in weight, so probably easy to take home with you as well! Many shops in Dassia, in fact all over Corfu, sell them, and they are not expensive as you say.

Corfu
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

I simply do not understand the position taken in the post made by bettybettybetty that Greeks don't know what a sausage is!

For the benefit, particularly, of travellers whose native language is not English, I would point them in the direction of several English Language Dictionaries, all available, free, on-line; Chambers, Oxford and Oxford Advanced Learner's. Searching these dictionaries for 'hot dog' gives almost identical answers on all three sites, namely that a 'hot dog' is a sausage served in a long bread roll.

It therefore follows that the 'meat' part of the item is regarded as a sausage!

Just because the food served is not what English travellers would call sausage does not mean that it is not sausage. We are, after all, talking about food served in Greece. Why should it be 'English'?

Travellers wishing to enjoy English food should visit England! Those who choose to visit Greece, whether it be Dassia, in Corfu, or anywhere else in the country, should try Greek food. Surely that is part of the reason for travelling to another country in the first place? There is a vast range of different dishes available in Greece, and most travellers should be able to find many items that they will enjoy.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

lephouy - For some reason you have a stick stuck somewhere? For some reason you seem to keep picking an argument that isn't even valid!

As for duvets you have picked this from ANOTHER post and ranted here? And saying it is bad advice is absolute barmy considering you are offering advice about lilos? Splitting hairs don't you think? As for lilos we actually took some over with us and tried them and they were no good inflated or otherwise! And the reason I suggested duvets to stop people waisting their holiday complaining and being uncomfy! My advice is based on actual method, not madness as you seem to be prooving! Of course you leave the cheap duvet behind but it is better than being uncomfy with springs sticking in you all night!

At least I have been to one of the 2 hotels mentioned! At least I have spoken to a few people from the other hotel in person! At least we tried the lilo before the idea of a duvet! My advice is based on actual events and non fiction and not some 'nut' trying to impress other readers by little rants that have NO validation. I realy feel sorry for you. Get a life and maybe actually go to one of these hotels BEFORE you have a baseless rant???

Corfu
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

The reference to duvets was in the first reply to this topic, the reference being made by you.

Lilos were not suggested by me, but in a reply posted by Cretaholic! I don't think any hairs are split at all, when comparing two different items, one of which would have to be paid for and almost certainly left behind, as against the other which could much more easily be taken home.

Believe it or not, I do have a life. I Live and Work in Dassia, and have done so for many years. I know both Hotels very well, certainly far better than any holidaymaker who has only been once!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel magna graecia, corfu

lephouy - Rant, Rant, Rant!

I suppose lilos are free are they? Don't forget we tried and tested the lilos which were no good and the reason for suggesting duvets; But you disregarded that fact and continue to RANT about duvets being wrong? Even though we tried BOTH! have you slept at either hotel and tried these methods? Yes you are splitting hairs!

You clearly do have no life, think about this...

This topic was about info on the Magna Graecia - You have offered NONE!

All you have done is drag my opinion (which I am entitled to) about another hotel from a COMPLETELEY different topic and had a go at me! VERY SAD INDEED!

I haven't once had a go at you about anything you have posted HAVE I?

You say this is supposed to be a friendly forum offering good advice? You are a complete JOKE when all you can do is bad mouth other users FOR NO REASON!

You are the most SADDEST LITTLE PERSON on the PLANET! And you really do need to get a life!

As I said, I haven't once bad mouthed any of your posts have I?

Get answers to your questions about Dassia
Recent Conversations