We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

My husband was convicted of cultivation of marijuana about 5-6 yrs ago.We would like to travel to Mexico in the next 2 weeks and our travel agent suggested calling the Mexican Embassy to see if there would be any problems.Anything I have read in the forums suggest there wouldn't be a problem.I wanted to ask if anyone has been in this situation personally.In other words not someone telling about someone elses situation.He also was convicted of a DUI about 10 yrs ago as was I ...but mine was over 20 yrs ago.We have learned our lessons lol.He wasn't convicted of any charges for the purpose of trafficking and was under very lenient house arrest for 6 months.He could go out daily and not due to employment.He was retired at the time.I don't want to book our trip not feeling certain there will be no problems.Should we call or not? Or book it?

18 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Definitely call....i have seen in a number of places, that they want eight years after conviction before they would consider you into their country.....Mexico may be different though...

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Well some people say I'd be putting up a red flag...but when you have to save...I would hate to flush 3000$ down the toilet.Have you got personal knowledge or just offering a suggestion so to ensure we don't get denied entry? Would be nice to know is all :-)

Edited: 02 March 2014, 05:37
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,480 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Actually it's better to be red flagged before you pay than at the Mexican border trying to get in.

I'm not sure a Canadian Forum of volunteer posters is the right place to be asking. You need to get the official opinion from the official source with is the Mexican Government. No sense getting to Mexican Customs to find yourself saying, but the good folks on TA told us ....

Info for Canadians with a criminal record entering Mexico: http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Mexican Embassy in Canada: http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/

Edited: 02 March 2014, 09:09
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

No problems entering Mexico. If you have a stop over in the US then that could be big trouble.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Yeah Mexico is like Mexico, lol.

I got asked no questions at all when I flew in to Acapulco. Customs did go on the computer and he typed alot but then just stamped my passport and called the next person over. No hello, no good bye have a nice trip, etc..not one word was spoken between us.

Granted I got a clean record but I believe they just look to see if you are wanted for arrest, if not, adios

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

So you think I would offer up advice to ensure that you would get denied entry? Either you have to trust some people on here and take their thoughts as face value or not post at all...and for the record, the above post is based on personal knowledge, not opinion and for what I did not know, I suggested that you check with the Mexican authorities....

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Yeah maybe best to call ahead but who you talk with at the embassy and who you would see at the border might be two totally different types of officers....I mean things are really different down there.....

…ap.org/dynamic/…

Level Contributor
1 post
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Did you get there in the end ?

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

Yes we did without any problems either...

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction

cool

Reply to: Traveling to mexico with a drug conviction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Dover