We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
13 posts
Save Topic
First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

We are considering our first visit 2nd week of March from Toronto via Sunwing. I've been told the flight is 5 hours and is non-stop, but there is a disclaimer on their site about stopover. We've been advised the Henry Morgan is our best option for AI. Kids are six so we don't need anything fancy, but we do want great beach, crystal blue calm water and half decent food. Is this resort kid friendly and how far are the rooms from the beach.

I've read Feb. is still rainy season. Is March booking cutting it too close. I'd hate to fly all the way down there to find us holed up in the hotel room due to bad weather.

I always like to bring little gifts for the local children - any suggestions?

Do we need shots - malaria/ hep etc. if so I don't think this will be the island for us.

thanks

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

March is often very nice weather although this past year the rainy season did go a little long, Its weather, no one knows. You do not NEED any types of shots and i am not sure what Canada Health says but the CDC does RECOMMEND certain measure though not required. Malaria is a possibility but there is not a shot for it, they would be pills. Best thing would be to talk with a travel health professional

Muskoka
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

We are at Mayan Princess 2nd week in March. Kids 6 & 9. We have spent alot of time on this site looking at things to do etc and believe me your kids will have fun by the time they see the dolphins and go to Gumblinda etc.

We are also planning on visitng a school.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

Re kids and toys:

I always bring toys and enjoy giving them out as well, usually at a school. However on this island, it appeared to me that many of the kids don't go to school. They sell stuff and beg and that should never be rewarded.

2 weeks ago I nearly got mugged by a pack on kids on West Bay Beach when I was trying to hand them out so I stopped that immediately. I gave some to the staff where I was staying and I gave the rest to Miss Peggy's clinic to hand out to patients.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

We have gotten quite involved in the community over the years yet we started in similar fashion. Some "gifts" that are appreciated and useful to consider are pens, pencils, crayons and things like that. Cheap plastic toys will be in the sea in no time and most things needing batteries will be of little use once the batteries die, they are expensive on the island. Another thing we do is have our dentist order a couple boxes of inexpensive toothbrushes for us, they get great deals on them.

We now incorperate our Christams party and school donations into mostly one thing, public schools start not long after the holidays so it works well. we bring notebooks, pens, pencils, crayons, toothbrushes, along with some goodies.

If interested you can see a slideshow of our recent christmas party here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHKgkc8sQyg

toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

Hi,

I'm really concerned about the possibility of malaria; I've found conflicting information. Will you be giving your children medication.

It seems there is only one hospital in town and they are understaffed and very low on supplies. Chances are we won't need it, but you never know. We did end up needing a doctor on one vacation! Have you found any other health care facilities in your search or do you know of resorts that have doc on site.

thanks for any more info.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

A few resorts have doctors or at least medical staff, AKR has someone and i did take a scooter victim to BIBR to their people one time. there is also the public and a private hospital in Coxen Hole as well as many clinics, the most known is Clinica Esperanza. There are plenty of people to help with the basic ailments, the biggest issue for many would be the lack of any type of real trauma unit if it were needed. One of the reasons i so often caution about the driving conditions and also about scooter rentals.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,069 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

TJ did a useful utube on the medical services

http://buyroatan.blogs.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

Before we traveled to Roatan with our kids, our pediatrician recommended consulting with an international travel health organization. We opted for Hepatitis A vaccines, Typhoid Fever and taking prescribed malaria medication while there. This is what WE decided to do based on our own personal concerns/needs. We also traveled with a filled prescription of an antibiotic in case anyone got a serious gastrointestinal bug. What YOU decide to do is up to you.

You also need to be concerned about Dengue Fever which there is no preventative for aside from being super-diligent with mosquito repellent, which you should be doing to lessen malaria risk as well.

As for gifts, I second the recommendation to focus on what schools need. There is an organization I worked with before coming-Roatan Children's Fund http://www.roatanchildrensfund.com/ that can give you some guidelines re. current needs. I agree, I would not pass out things such as little plastic toys-that isn't what they need. We took over 200lbs of school supplies, and I have never seen kids more thrilled over pencils and crayons.

Edited: 04 February 2010, 18:27
9. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2010, 01:53
10. Re: First visit ?'s-where to stay with young kids/weather/gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 13:35