We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Washington DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning our 1st trip to Roatan mid April.

We cant seem to decide on barefoot cay or island pearl.

We'll looking to relax, explore the island culture, snorkel/dive.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

TC

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

You can do all the things you listed from either location. Perhaps the biggest difference is that from IP in West Bay you can walk and explore West Bay and West End, the most touristy areas, you can also water taxi between the two in a few minutes for 2-3 dollars where as from Barefoot Cay you would need a driver or taxi or rent a car to do much else other than stay at the one place.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,712 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Barefoot Cay Resort
Barefoot Cay Resort
638 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Bluehouseguy- what about cruise boat daytrippers? Would that be an issue at the Pearl? I am also looking for a place to stay for a first trip (not for a good while) but I definitely do not want to be staying on a beach where the cruisers descend in great numbers. We would plan to rent a car so we could explore as much of the island as possible. Advice?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,904 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Majoity of the cruisers stay south of Infinity Bay

Some cruisers go to Bananarama which is beside Pearl (they own it) but cruisers are not allowed at the Pearl

Also look at West Bay Willage

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,712 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and...
2,232 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

DNAMobile the great snorket is out in front of infinity bay (less than 5 minute walk from island pearl bananarama) yes most of cruisers stop at the drop off point at tabayana beach( maybe a 6 minute walk) yes cruisers pay to sit on a lounger in front of island pearl maybe all 45 of them and several rows of loungers set up at tabayana so avoid it nothing there anyway if you have ever been to cancun or dominican this is nothing still lots of beach and dont forget its really only tuesday thats that full wed is less and thursday is only a boat or two you wont notice it Mr Guy at bananarama is great he has it set up for no one extra on the grounds for the guests use you and 6 other chairs on the private grounds 10 ft or better away from next lounger where you want it placed shade or sun

oh and your own bar set up so no long lines at all

cruisers there out in front from 930 till 4 at max if you go for a drive dont go to west end roads are packed as isthe beach go to hole inthe wall or some off beat road at opposite end fof island many and i mean almost every cab is on the road

even if you are at west bay village you have cruisers at your door step on cruise day we were there on a tuesday when the 4 ships were in and seriously not the bad unless you want the beach to yourself you can walk 5 minute s the opposite way of infinity towards west end and park a towel and be more than on your own

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Thanks for your replies- I have not been to the DR (doesn't interest me) and only fly into Cancun out of necessity to head to other less developed places. We tend to head to the out islands of the Bahamas where more than 10 other people on a beach is a crowd- that is why I ask. We tend to look for "off the beaten path" places (headed to Anegada, BVI in a month) - don't need anything fancy or upscale, just need AC- should we consider other parts of the island - the east? I am open to ideas- we are looking for pretty water, some decent snorkeling (or boat trips), low key and quiet/peaceful vacation time- our late night, loud bar, beach crowd days are over. Thanks for any tips- Roatan looks very beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Washington DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

Thank you Bluehouseguy, Zoey1ont and Vancouversundog!

People have been writing on the forum about awesome snorkeling on west bay.

Is the only place, in front of infinity bay?

Finally, do you have any recommendations on car rental companies?

Cheers!

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

lots of places to snorkel sorry not to mention that before nice spots in west end half moon sandy bay or over in flowers bay and many more ill try on my next visit go with the guys who scuba out to the right spots just ask they wll let you know what is better we seen lots one day out for an hour or so we hopped on the scuba boat from west bay area personally i would not snorkel out in front of infinity on cruiser day its kind of like a scene from jaws( oops that was my outside voice) met alot of really nice people while out on my walk kind of cool they are so jealous that they have to leave at 4 and you get to stay in paradise!!!

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

i think if you want seclusion you would not be happy with west bay all be it very beautiful it has people on it maybe a rental on the iron side will be better liked and then a trip to west bay on monday or saturdays seem to be the more quite days good luck

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

sorry to be a "newbie" but is Barefoot Cay on "the iron side"? If so, what do you think of it? If not, any suggestions of names of quiet, nice (clean, comfortable, don't need fancy) places - we will rent a car/jeep but don't necessarily want to be totally cut off or isolated anywhere- would want to be driveable distance to a restaurant, etc. Thanks for your advice and patience. I frequent the Bahamas and BVI forums but have never been to Central America (Mexico but not really to C.A.) so I know TA people are great for advice!

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barefoot cay or villa at island pearl

I haven’t stayed at Island Pearl, but it’s on West Bay beach, which does get packed on cruise ship days (now up to 4 ships a day). Barefoot Cay is a real getaway - they only have 26 guests at most, and they don’t allow day guests, so the beach and grounds are very private. And luxurious. Wonderful service - mmmm, wish I was back there again!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,712 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Island Pearl
Island Pearl
158 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Barefoot Cay Resort
Barefoot Cay Resort
638 Reviews