We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Just wondered what the snorkeling is like in front of the hotel Henry Morgan. Is there much to see or do we need to go somewhere else? thanks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Directly in front of Henry Morgan you'll see some fish & the odd seastar....the reef is further out here, with some dive boats coming & going so not particularly a good idea to swim out to the reef from here. Once on the beach, turn left and head down to the rock cliff just past Infinity Bay.....basically the end of the beach. Swim out from here & the reef is very, very close. Better on the outer edge as with more people visiting/ standing on the coral it is getting damaged. So no need to take a tour, simply walk the 5 min. ( a couple of weeks ago we saw a group of teens walking, yes walking across the reef with fins on. the mom watched from shore, idiots )

Ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Idiots is right. It just breaks my heart to see the disrespect that people have for our beautiful earth. Thanks for the info. We will be turning left. We have wanted to go to Roatan for some time and now its possible. we can't wait to.step into the water.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

btw. Our 2nd trip a few weeks ago we did the trip to Cayos Cochinos. In a word, AMAZING. Incredibly beautiful topside....and below.

My husband and children are avid snorkellers ( and divers ) and said the coral was incredible as was the sealife. Just in case you are looking at tours.

It was definately worth the $$.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Hi Would you mind sharing which tour operator you took to get to Cayos Cochinos and where you booked it from? Was it a wavy trip to and fro? I'm interested but don't want to be worried about getting motion sickness and prefer not to take gravol if I'm going to swim. Thanks

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

I've been to cayos 3 times. I've gone 2 times with xtreme charters and once with earlybird fishing charters. Both companies are wonderful. Xtreme charters with Ray Diaz has a huge contender boat, cant imagine getting motion sickness on there. Go to fosters west bay and ask for Foster or Ray and they will hook you up. With Earlybird my experience was just as amazing, but with fishing involved with the trip. Capt. Loren is a great guy and he and his mate Tex Dilbert have no equals on the water. Whichever one of the 2 that you choose, you will have a blast for sure! The cayos trips are always a highlight for me. Enjoy and please post photos!

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

Haroldgreen, Thank-you for your very quick reply. It sounds like it only takes 1 hour to get to Cayo Cochinos (I looked up reviews on xtreme charters). Am I correct in that? That would seem to be quite do-able. Thanks

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

I would say 45 mins to an hour. I've never had issue with motion sickness on the trip. When you go tell Big Ray I said hi (He is a great host). Oh and get the lobster on cayos!!!!

Also, and forgive me if this is out of line. I make it a point to bring beads(hair) and little one dollar toys for the kids on cayos, they really dont have anything. Along with the incredible Garifuna experience and the sealife, the smiles on the faces of those children is a highlight not just of the trip, but my life. Have a great night.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 01:22
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
356 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

my boyfriend went to cayos conchinos with the henry morgan dive center for $115 day trip and he thought it wasn't worth it at all. on the trip there he said a quarter of the people were throwing up due to sea sickness. and they did some snorkeling off the boat that wasn't that great. he said he enjoyed the local lunch on the island but he said there was litter everywhere and had to tell off a panhandler. unfortunately not a tropical paradise. they didn't get a chance to snorkel off the island. all in all maybe other tour companies may be better but he didn't think the trip was worth the money.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

I have never been with HM resorts, but my first hand experience with the 2 listed companies was nothing short of spectactular. We snorkeled 3 different islands along with the lunch. I had 2 buddies go with me in december, they told me it was one of the best experiences of their lives. Again, this is what I have witnessed, we paid $150 per person. I think the experience is worth double that!!!! I guess everything is relative.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling in front of Henry morgan

We did the tour with Henry Morgan. We normally do things like that completely on our own( hiring our own driver/ boat ), but our children wanted to be with friends and someone suggested the larger boat was better.

#1. Of course it could be rough. It's the ocean! Depends on the day. If its rough and u r prone to seasickness, dont do it. The trip is more like 1.5 hours there. 1.5 hours back.

#2. The snorkelling and coral was fantastic. We stopped at numerous places & it was in top shape, colorful, & beautiful.

#3/ The views of the tiny keys backdropped by the mountains of the Honduran mainland is nothing short of jawdropping. And yes...I'm well travelled & seen a lot of places, its beautiful.

#4. The visit to the Garifuna community was not to take you to their "island paradise". It was a cultural expeirence to show you how they live....our guide told us about the garbage, no big deal, look at their houses, their boats, how they cook, how they wash their clothes, dry their clothes on the sand and rocks, wonder how they live with no running water or electricity, enjoy the incredibly fresh food, look at the beautiful children, and if you happen to part with $5 for a pretty necklace....hey, you have a nice little souvenir.

#5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But how anyone could not find these islands beautiful is beyond me. (Unless your expecting to find the Ritz there and a marble bathroom to pee pee in. )

#6. We never to tours as mentioned above, this was $115 pp, so a good chunk of money for us.....but well worth it & we would do it again, it was "an expeirence".

JMHO of course..each to their own. In fact, I'll post pics to back up my argument. Hundreds, lol!