We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Houston
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Hello, we're heading down to Roatan in late September and staying at the Infinity Bay. My wife really had her heart set on snorkeling with the Dolphins at AKR and maybe some ziplining but she will be about 5 months pregnant when we get down there. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good tour operator that goes from West Bay to Cayo Cochinos? Or if anyone else can recommend something a preganant woman can do that is somewhat adventurous? Thanks for the input...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

She would need to fly early morning to La Ceiba to join the Cayos Cochinos tour from there, then, return to Roatan either by air or ferry in the afternoon

Flight info

https://aerolineasosahn.com/

Ferry info

http://safewaymaritime.com/

Tour info

www.explorehonduras.com/cayoscochinos.htm

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

The guys from Xtreme charters go out to Cayos from West Bay dang near daily.

Have a chat with the folks at Foster's, Ray is Foster's son who owns the Xtreme boat.

http://xtremechartersroatan.com/

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
266 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Hey there, you have many options to get to Cayos from Roatan. My favorites are Big Ray Diaz of xtreme charters, if you wish to combine fishing hit up my boys Early bird fishing charters and then there is the big daddy boat of Bahia watersports. All have websites that you can find very easy. They can pick you up from the dock in front of infinity bay!!! Enjoy and post a trip report when you get back. BIG UPS!!!

Edited: 30 August 2011, 23:39
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Sometimes can be a rough ride out to Cayos ...so I would plan on going on a calm day ... I would think this would be better for a pregnant woman 5 months along???

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Would def not go on the center console Contender with xtreme Charters at 5 months pregnant! Sea conditions can change quickly and that can be one bouncy boat ride! Sunyata Charters is a great way to go but involves overnighting which may or may not appeal to everyone. Don't see why snorkeling at AKR would be dangerous? Ziplining is probably out! A day touring the East End and visiting Camp Bay, Oak Ridge etc is fun. Do some beachcombing, have a great lunch and see the less developed part of the island, do the mangrove canal boat ride to Hole In The Wall....all calm and mainly land based with some easy snorkeling? We liked having a driver so that we felt more secure and could kick back in AC comfort and enjoy all of the lush scenery!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

I agree- the crossing over to cayos Cochinos can be pretty bouncy. I don't see why she couldn't snorkel with the dolphins. And maybe a sailing trip with Free Radical up at Oakridge? They do a great day sail, stopping at the Cow and Calf to snorkel. She might also like to go up in the sea plane- they have a trip that they go to Pigeon Cay and stop for snorkeling there.

Saskatoon, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Went on Extreme charters in January....definatly DO NOT GO to Cayos Cochinos with extreme charters if you are pregnant...we didn't just bounce around...we REALLY bounced around...my hands were sore from holding on so tight to the ropes... we all coudn't wait to get to land...it wasn't a very pleasant ride AT ALL

Houston
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

Thanks for all the suggestions and info about the rough waters to Cayo Cochinos...I was kinda afraid of that. We really wanted to do the snorkeling with dolphins at AKR, but it specifically states on there website that pregnant women are not allowed :-(

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

I agree that a Trip through the mangroves and lunch at Hole in the Wall would be well suited to a 5 month pregnant women, Just take extra care getting out of the boat onto the dock/deck at Hole in the wall. I was sure I'd had too much to drink when we arrived and I stumbled out of the boat. The deck is on a definite angle. Also would suggest a trip to La Sirena restaurant at Camp Bay. Plan a day so you aren't rushed. Its so beautiful. A spa day at SpaBaan Suerte would be a treat. Its right up there on my Top 10 list of repeats and To Do list for my next trip. March/April 2012. Romantic lobster dinner at Celestes.Snorkelling from the shore just about anywhere would work and eliminate the "over the side of the boat and back up" part. More 'to do's' than days usually! Have fun, it's great!

10. Re: Cayo Cochinos Tour From West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 September 2011, 00:35