We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise Oceanic questions

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise Oceanic questions

I'm considering 2 weeks at the Oceanic in Jan. The only other place available for a reasonable price is the Henry Morgan.

So my first question is, if we stay at the Oceanic, can we use the beach and chairs at the PBC?

Also, the reviews indicate the pool bar is usually closed. If so, can I go to the PBC pool (which looks nicer to a red head like me, due to the shade)? And can I charge drinks to my room?

We are looking at the breakfast only plan. The option at Henry Morgan is only "AI". But the Oceanic is significantly cheaper.

Do you see any reason to go with the HM given that we'd probably want to try out various restaurants, so the AI wouldn't be much of a deal for us? My husband wanted a hammock, but for the price, he'd probably be willing to take a beach chair instead.

Stoney Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

Hello yes you can use PBC pool bar and chairs Paradise is a little nicer than other hotels it is our favorite

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

Hi amber:

We stayed at the Oceanic in May with breakfast only option as we are also from out West , and there was absolutely no advantage to us to pay for return flights to TO in order to get the Sunwing package. We booked the room directly with the hotel.

I don't know about charging drinks to your room, we found their drinks a tad expensive so we only had the odd drink there and paid upfront for them. Maybe you could email them and ask? If we wanted a beer or a cocktail mid afternoon we just wandered over to the Thirsty Turtle at Bananarama next door.

The Oceanic and the Beach side are literally a stone's throw from each other and share the same beachfront. It's kind of all one property really when it comes down to it, so yes you absolutely can use any of the pools - there are two on the Beach side but one is very tiny. We used both of them in the afternoons when we were too hot sitting on the beach. There is shade at both.

I really don't know that there would be any real advantage for you to go the AI route given that you are from Calgary and in the same boat we're in, so to speak, when it comes to options. Hubby and I don't drink much during the daytime these days but we do like our wine at night and I believe the AI options for just about all the hotels on West Bay are wine with dinner only, so we would still be spending money on wine anyway. Plus, as you say, we did enjoy eating at the different places along the Bay. It's a really good deal for the folks from back East, as they can get a Sunwing AI package for very little more than what we Wetcoasters pay for fare only, so they can still eat off resort if they want to without feeling guilty. At least, that's what I would do :)

We enjoyed our stay so much that we hoping to go back to Roatan next spring but I think this time we will stay on the Beach side of the property as I have been reading that the elevator is constanly out of order theses days on the Oceanic side. We didn't have that problem in May which was a good thing as we were on the 4th floor.

Are you flying United via Houston? What kind of fares are you seeing for your timeframe? I have checked the United website for April/May fares (we are retired so can be flexible. Nowadays it's all about the budget lol!) and they are very high so I'm going to start checking again after the New Year.

Good luck! It's a good choice of hotel if you like small properties and we found the staff to be just awesome.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

There were some comparitively awesome flight prices to RTB.

We got interested in Roatan due to an awesome package out of Toronto to Henry Morgan with Nolitours. Even with flights to TO, it was still a better deal than some other packages out of Calgary. But then on further investigation, it wasn't much more to fly directly to RTB than to fly to TO. (I have family there, so the layover hotel isn't even a consideration for us. If you count the hotel, it's actually cheaper to skip TO.) We were looking at about $750 on United through Houston. $630+ to Toronto. And $850 just to fly to Houston??? So the $750 seems like a screaming deal. But even better, we managed to use Aeroplan and got "free" business class seats with less than 3 weeks to go. My husband is still feeling like we won the lottery as the points are going to expire next year and we've trying to use them for years.

We called Nolitours and asked if we could book just the hotel, and they quoted $100 less than the package that started the whole thing. $100 for the flight portion out of Toronto? That explains some of the criticism I've heard about CanJet. ;-)

So, just looking at hotels, some places are quoting more than our HM price for no meals (or maybe breakfast). Or they're a little less, and I figure that even eating out a few meals, HM is still a better deal for what the hotel seems to offer. So being from Calgary really doesn't have anything to do with whether to go AI or not. And I suspect that Easterners have no idea how cheap their package is compared to what we pay. I know I had no idea how good I had it when I was one of them.

Really, it comes down to whether we'll regret staying at a "high rise" hotel and walking over to the more resort-y resort. Or if we should "splurge" on HM, which isn't as much more as it seems because we'll get some free meals out of it.

Also, keep in mind that PBC is full, so we may be fighting for some of those chairs.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

You might also try VRBO to book a condo through the owners. We've done that two years' running now and stayed at Infinity Bay, and the price is very reasonable if you can find one open for your dates..

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

amber:

Congrats on using your Aeroplan miles for your fare. That's awesome!

This May, we paid around $680 pp from Vancouver to Roatan via Houston, so we are hoping to get something in that range again this year. We`ll see!

According to their website, the rooms on the Beach Club side are around $600 per week for late April, early May for bed and breakfast so we`re happy with that. It`s actually a bit less than what we paid this year on the Oceanic side. April has the last of the Sunwing and Nolitours packages and it is also the low end of the cruise ship season so I don`t anticipate any probelms with the beach being crowded.

I think you will find that none of the hotels on West Bay are resorty, as in the resorts in say Mexico or DR. They are nothing like that. The Paradise Beach Club and the Oceanic combined only have about 80 - 90 rooms total, one of the reasons we liked it so much. We are not big resort folks.

All the best with your choice. I hope you let us know what you decide on.

I`m envious that you`re going so soon, but we just got back from Cuba so I need to suck it up until the spring :) :)

Have a wonderful trip.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 19:00
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

I can't stand the big resorts in Mexico, Cuba & DR. I won't book anything with more than 500 rooms. Our favorite trips have been to resorts with less than 20 rooms.

When I call the PBC "resort-y", I mean that it's got outdoor spaces, a beach, activities, etc. As opposed to a hotel with all the rooms and lobby within a single building which you have to leave in order to do anything.

We ended up booking HM.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

We just stayed at the Paradisus Rio De Oro in Holguin, Cuba. It is not considered large at 350 rooms, but it was at 80% capacity and we found it too crowded lol! Loungers in the shade ( I burn easily) were at a premium both on the beach and at the pool.

Enjoy HM and Roatan!

8. Re: Paradise Oceanic questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:17