We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale sharks

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
whale sharks

Any one gone on any of the whale shark tours here? will be there in west bay Jan 19th for two weeks... is this a good time of year to see whale sharks

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale sharks

I was told bythe fellow at Infinity Bay our chances for last january where slim to non and it would be more of a you get luckier to see them closer to march.

Im not so sure that there is a perfect time from what some trip takers have reported after the excursion....but the ones that were lucky to be in the right place at the right time where certainly in awe of these magnificent huge creatures !!!!!!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale sharks

Frankly, I think the odds are low enough I'd only go if being out on the water is a priority and you don't have your heart set on sharks. If that's a priority, maybe plan a future vacation to somewhere you're nearly guaranteed to swim with them. We had a fabulous time doing that from Isla Mujeres during the summer months a few years back.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale sharks

march and april are historically the best months for seeing them but this january we saw them 10 days in a row. however i agree with the other posters, only go if you'd enjoy a boat trip with no other expectations.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale sharks

Ok thanks..going to have to book in march or april for another trip..or go to Atlanta and swim with four whale sharks they have at the Aquarium there

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale sharks

you'd have a much better chance of seeing them if you were staying on utila for a week than just popping over from roatan for a couple of hours to try and find one.

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale sharks

Divenuts, you just made my day. Going to Utila in April! Fingers crossed!

Susie

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whale sharks

formwaht i have now seen on google searches april is when the food source for whale sharks are in abundance in this area so you will tons of the whales.....pardon the pun

Edited: 24 December 2012, 11:38
8. Re: whale sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:16