We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for bug repellent

canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for bug repellent

While reading through the various posts, we've noticed many comments about the sand fleas. We vacationed in Cuba, Jamaica & Mexico with no major bug problems but would like to be pro-active and prepare for the dreaded sand fleas of West Bay. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand to take? Thanks for your help with this!

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

If you type " Insect repellent.....cactus oil/juice???" into the search bar on this forum you will come up with 28 different answers as to what people bring and what works for them...for most people something with a high deet concentrate is recommended.

Mary Jane

Sudbury Ontario

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

hight deet concentrations also hurts/kills the coral on the reef... ...just saying...most come to roatan for the reef so lets not kill it

hamilton ontario
Level Contributor
384 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

DandDM what would be your recommendation? We already use reef friendly sunscreen which is hard to wash off, but every little bit helps. Heard that baby oil will stop sand fleas, but they are stuck to your legs. That might still be doable though.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

baby oil is the most effective on sand fleas but yes you do get dead ones stuck to your legs (i think they drown in the oil).

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

i will be trying baby oil this time...i never or seldom see anyone get bitten by sand fleas above the knees so i will just apply to my legs... bringing benadryll (spelling?) spray and pills if that does not work.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 14:29
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

Just for balance...

there are sand fleas or sand flies or whatever the little buggers are - on Roatan. But these are not a particularly Roatanish - you can run into into them in many places. We also experienced them on the mainland in Honduras and in Guatemala and something similar in southern China. And the worst bites I ever got were sitting at sunset on a concrete apron around a pool at a sort-of fancy resort in the highlands in central Mexico.

and the description of them as "the dreaded sand fleas of West Bay..." - of all the beaches on Roatan, West Bay has by far the fewest as it is raked (and sometimes sprayed) far more frequently than any other beach I know. (OK - maybe some resort someplace does the same, but you know what I mean!)

For most folks - as long as you aren't walking a lot and sitting with feet on the sand around daybreak or dusk, you might not even know they exist. The biggest problem is that you don't feel them bite most of the time, so you can have a bunch without noticing until you see the blood or start to itch.

And for most folks, if you do get bit, you have a little red mark that itches a little or more than a little, then remains unsightly for up to a few weeks.

There are a few folks, however - and nobody knows if they are "lucky" in this respect until it happens - who react badly to the bites... large welts, severe itching, etc.

We do nothing for them except putting on our bug repellant when we go out before sunset, with special attention to our feet, ankles, and lower legs. We use a Sawyer product with time-release deet... it apparently is enough of a lotion to work ok for us on the sand flies. 3M Ultrathon makes a similar product. If you react to them, then a more aggressive regime might be required.

ottawa . ontario...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

Hello ,

idiotsabroad

Were can you buy this Product, Sawyer product with time-release deet...?

Bobby :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

this is the stuff I'm talking about... gets rave reviews for the "liposome" lotion base... I think it is pretty widely available... we buy it online for convenience...

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Repellent-Liposome-3-Ounce/dp/B002CMP47S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357844284&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellant

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

bug bands on amazon.com, a pack of 4 cost around $13, wear around ankle or wrist and each band lasts 4 days so the 4 pack will cover a couple for the week

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for bug repellent

Good reads!

Wouldn't think of trying to kill the reef...I'd like to see it say healthy for many years to come. While we do & will use a spray with deet I would always also ensure it was washed off prior to going into the water.

Mary Jane

Sudbury Ontario

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"