We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

This will be our first trip to Roatan. We are a couple in our late 40's. We have done all inclusive extensively in Dominican, Cuba, and Jamaica. We go for relaxation and to meet fellow tourists and the locals. We do not dive. We enjoy both a nice pool (bigger is better, with swim up bar??) as well a nice beach. We will eat just about anything so are not fussy. We usually enjoy a mid size resort with nice grounds and some organized activities. Plan to go in early January. We are trying to decide between Henry Morgan, Paradise Beach ( have ruled out Paradise Oceanic as we want to be beachside) and Mayan Princess. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Sue

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

Henry Morgan doesn't have a swim up bar, nor Mayan Princess or Paradise to my knowledge. While we love HM and always had a positive experience there, it isn't the "right fit" for a lot of people....

IMHO, you would probably like MP and PB better than HM. MP and PB are sweet properties, MB is slightly larger and a little more upscale than PB( still a sweet place though ). It has a very pretty pool area and the grounds are lovely. And, dont rule out Paradise Oceanic, it is on the beach as well, probably every bit as close as the units at Paradise Beach club. ( pool is very small though )

Another option is Infinity Bay, the largest property on West Bay Beach with a pretty pool and I think a small swim up bar.

Oddly, Sunwing used to offer IB out of Montreal but at the moment it only seems to be offered out of Toronto....( not certain where you are departing from ).

Keep in mind, amenities offered at all of the above are not in keeping with any of the large AI resorts in the places you mention. Meal times are scheduled, limited drink selection, no real activities, etc. ( not necessarily a bad thing, just be aware, read LOTS of reviews ).

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

Thanks for your thoughts......Can I ask why HM is not a fit for some people??

I am sure that wherever we end up we will have a great experience as we are generally pretty easy going. However, I am leaning towards MP--I have not really looked at IB as it is a lot more expensive!!!

We will have to connect through Toronto or Montreal from the east coast....

Thanks again,

Sue

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

As mentioned, we loved HM...we traveled with young teens and the staff there is incredible, actually they are the reason we returned 3x to HM. Also, we love the dive shop & staff.

The food is just "ok", probably similar to Cuban fare......the pool is a very pretty pool, no swim up bar( bar is at the beach, a mere 50 ft away. Its surrounded by a wooden deck with nice wooden chaise lounges and umbrellas. The restaurant/ lobby/ lobby bar / game area etc is behind it...you pass through this under a covered walk way to the room area. Rooms are split into two story units with perhaps 4 rooms per unit( 2 up/ 2 down ). You reach the different rooms by means of a wooden walkway. Rooms are pretty, bright, with wooden floors, white walls, a little balcony....very simple. ( no marble/ granite/ fancy linen ). There are fancier newer villas which I suppose one could consider more "upscale" but they are a bit more costly and a bit further than the original rooms. I prefer the brightness & simplicity & character of the original rooms.

The beach area can get a bit "rowdy", they do play loud music, the staff gets patrons involved, my kids actually loved it. It draws a large number of Italians & French Canadians. ( not a bad thing, just a fact ). So, if you can get a decent deal and consider the above, read the reviews to understand what its about....you'll be fine! :)

I don't think you could go wrong with MP btw. Very nice property......

Edited: 15 September 2013, 19:44
hamilton ontario
Level Contributor
385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

Stayed at Henry Morgan first week in Mar. 2013, loved it, laid back, but like Faithie said, not for everyone. Wrote an extensive review mid March. Took it for the price and we were not disappointed. Beware, January is rainy season. If you read back to the reviews in Jan. you will find that some people did not have a good holiday due to continuous, severe rain, washed out roads, etc. Just depends on what luck you have, but the risk of nasty rain is higher than in Feb. I think. So, also do some weather research. I believe rainy season ends mid Feb.

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

Thanks Victoria64 for pointing out the rainy season....I would not have thought about this as January is our preferred time in the DR.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

my 2 cents...for what its worth....

We were in Roatan Jan 23 2010...was on a low cost option called 'roulette"...don't see this anymore but it was luck of the draw that we got placed at one of 3 properties...Paradise beach club was what we got...well let me tell you...most awesome place ever

..we read about this 3 star property and were freakin as we weren't used to 3 star...when we got there, the service and cleanliness was impeccable, staff went over and beyond their duties, the sunwing reps were great, ...the food...meh...but we aren't there for the food...lots of choices on the beach for eats at reasonable rates and nothing like BK or KFry or Outback...all fresh food....

I think the AI price of 1500 with flights, transportation to and from hotel, and accommodation plus food and booze is a pretty good deal considering others pay 1000 for just airfare...I dunno..I think its a good deal however others may disagree about AI's.... but that's just me !

7. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2013, 12:23
8. Re: First Trip--where to stay recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:16