We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 st time

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
380 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
1 st time

I am thinking about roatan easter week or early July. the summer might be better for me given the traveling time . I think I need at least 7 full days here. with traveling out of new York city no non stop , so I have to change planes. what is the best place to fly thu? also looking for a great place on the beach , walking to restaurants for dinner. not looking to rent a car. I looked at inf bay looks real good. does not have to be al-inc just breakfast . any resorts or codos other travelers have stayed would be helpful. I need a 2 bedrooms 3 travelers all around 50 .. thanks any info would help.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 st time

IB is the choice of a lot of people seeking beach, bar, and relax. Also not necessary to have a car or a care. Arrangements can be made through individual owners or the resort. What else is it you would like to do? Roatan is noted among all other Caribbean destinations for the quality of the under-water experience. So does snorkeling or learning to dive have any appeal?

Lots of options out of NYC. American goes (rarely) to RTB out of Miami, Delta (rarely) out of ATL, United out of IAH, TACA out of San Salvador. united has lots of frequencies, but even more on TACA. On TACA you can fly overnight to SAL and then hop over and be in RTB at 10AM. That's what I do out of SFO. On the way home you clear customs at port of entry to the US, which in the case of the TACA flight would be JFK.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 17:38
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 st time

FYI; for this destination, the time of year you go dictates the frequency and ease of flights. You go Feb, March, April and you can have daily or almost daily flights with decent connections on United through Houston; several times a week on Delta, and I believe weekends on American. You go in July, which is off season you will find less availability and flexibility in flights. Give us a hint as to why "Easter week or July" or whether there is any wiggle room there (maybe early April?? as I think Easter week is to be avoided at all costs) and maybe we can help more.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 18:26
NJ
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 st time

Early July you will find cheaper rooms and probably a better time on Roatan. While I personally love the party atmosphere in Roatan during Semana Santa (Easter week), I don't stay on West Bay ( I only visit there) so I don't deal with the crowds on a daily basis. During Semana Santa the crowds will be daily. I think your choice of IB is good for your wants...

I fly from EWR to RTB using United - easy layover in Houston.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
380 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 st time

the reason for easter week is that my wife works in a school . I can get off almost any time . so the window of travel for me is winter vacation mid feb that's out prices are to high , easter or the summer. I don't like to travel in aug . also my daug will be starting college in late aug so that;s out. .

but I can fly out of nj to Houston no problem. I just wish their was a non stop . but it is what it is .

I want a change , been to mexico many trimes , punta cana , cayman , turks , and others . so I need something new . I don't mind going out for dinner every night . but I would like breakfast . but that's not a deal breaker.

but the hotel / condo has to be on the beach .

can't wait to try out my new euro thong bathing suit .. ( just a joke)

thanks for the input

jack

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 st time

I wouldn't assume that mid February prices are too high. For whatever reason, Roatan doesn't necessarily follow the same pricing structure that most of the Caribbean does. Just checking air out of JFK to RTB Feb 14 with a return of Feb21 is $625PP. The same route the week before Easter (Semana Santa) is $647. Travel in July ranges from $555 to $650. I do know that many condo owners also charge a premium for Semana Santa week; not sure about other hotels.

6. Re: 1 st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19