We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Bay Beach - Currents

Pepperell...
Level Contributor
309 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
West Bay Beach - Currents

We have definitely decided to stay at Infinity Bay. I usually spend 2-3 hours a day snorkeling...I swear I could do it all day ;-).......how are the currents and tides in the bay?

From most pictures it looks calm, but reefs can create some weird currents. Are there any strong currents I need to be aware of that could be dangerous in the bay? I am a very strong swimmer, and float like a cork....but still want to be safe.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

Inside the reef the currents are nearly non existent, outside the reef they pick up a lot

Playa del Carmen...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

Snorkeling and diving there for years I never have encountered difficult currents. When there is a current I just go with it and get out another place.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

there can be mild currents further out, further than you wold be snorkeling. And there is a common strong east-to-west current off the western tip of the island, The Utila Express. But again beyond where you would swim. Inside the reef there is practically none, except perhaps some outward current at the channels, like Blue Channel. The current is mainly evident on the south side of the island.

There is commonly a tide change of one foot from high to low, and occasionally as much as two feet. Not as much as you would find at higher latitudes or on the eastern shore of the continents. The low tide can expose the reef here or there, and you see some horn coral sticking out. No matter where you are on the tide cycle you do want to be careful about swimming over the crest of the reef, since it may be too shallow to get through the reef, and you may have some of that sharp coral tickling your belly. Not to mention the damage you would do to the coral. The area in front of IB has channels all through the coral, so you are not forced to swim over rather than around. Still you will find people being caught there in the shallows. And remember there is no lifeguard there.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 17:18
Pepperell...
Level Contributor
309 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

I have snorkeled in strong currents all over the Caribbean, so I was just making sure I knew what to expect out there. By the sounds of it, the currents won't be a factor at all for an experienced snorkeler.

Thanks much to all that replied!!

Playa del Carmen...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

Nice words of advice thank you. Do you know anyone that runs a boat from Chetumal to Roatan?

United States
Level Contributor
611 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

If you are an avid snorkeler you should invest in a snorkeling vest. It inflates only when you need it! I had a rough time years ago off the tip of Cozumel and almost lost my better half! From that day on we have used snorkeling vests on most of our outings. When you have open water between you and the reef, I opt for the vest!

Playa del Carmen...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

Good call if I am not wearing my shortie suit which I usually do for long trips to avoid the sunburn. And I know that dangerous current on Cozemel past Palancar. Thanks and enjoy the good life!

8. Re: West Bay Beach - Currents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:18