We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

British Columbia
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Hello all,

My fiance and I will be visiting Roatan May 22-29th for our honeymoon, staying at Bananarama in West Bay. Wondering if anyone has any tips on how we can get the most out of our 7 days? We're a young couple, somewhat adventurous, and love snorkeling. I've read that a water taxi to the West End would be a good day.. anything else we should see/do (on a budget)?

Thanks!

Michelle & Steve

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Snorkel, its free and right infront of you on the beach! You could also go to Sandy Bay to snorkel, less people and a cheap taxi ride (especially if you take a water taxi to west end then catch a cab from there).

If you go on Friday, Blue Bahia has a great lionfish dinner for $10-15 depending if you just get one serving or more.

Soak up the beach and the sun, it is included with your trip!

Coxen Hole from the flowers bay rd entrance gives you a chance to walk and check out some vendors. It can be a cheap taxi ride and is a cheap way to spend a day. It is a neat way to interact with locals.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Spend the cash and go out with the Free Radical one day. It is so very much worth the price!

Or don't bother with the taxi price and take the local mini bus ..it will drop and pick you up anywhere along the route from West End to Coxen Hole..hmm I don't think they run after dark, course neither does the water taxi unless by special arrangement.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

I agree with Tyzun, enjoy the beach and sun...sunsets are awesome..however being on your honeymoon you may not see a lot other than the hotel room ceiling..:)

seriously, we enjoyed the Argentinian Grill just a few steps away from your hotel....order the filet mignon if you are craving a steak...it was the size of a small roast I would make my family of 4 and very romantic on the beach...also bite on the beach is a little further down and has good food and also have moray eels hanging around waiting for tidbits...very cool

There is a guy named Jose on the beach he will take you out snorkeling and actually gets in the water with you and shows you all the life down there.. The reef down the beach is great but .The Blue Channel is a must as well since you love snorkelling ....JOSE free dives too so he took my camera and got a couple of really good close ups of a lion fish and a huge barracuda....$10 a head

He also has a buddy Wendell that has a speed boat that took us out to some dive sites ..he even went to pick us up some wobbly pops and a cooler and served us drinks...fun day...they treated us like royalty..,cheap fun at $25 a head for an afternoon (pops not included)

Edited: 31 January 2014, 01:01
Creston, B.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

We'll be in Roatan from Feb. 15 - 28. How would a person find Jose?

Grimsby
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Just to jump in...How does one find JOSE on the beach?

Would love to go to Blue Channel by boat.

Thanls in advance

Seattle...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Michelle and Steve, I was there last year (going again in a month) and I think it's called "Spooky Channel" instead of "Blue Channel" unless they are two seperate places. Definetely a MUST!! When we were there we did the biggest baddest Pirates of the Carribean Zip line, Swam with dolphins, played with Monkeys at Gumbalimba (which is just a walk up the beach) snorkeled, went in a glass bottom boat, snorkeled off the beach, went horseback riding, and ATE a ton :) You can do it ALL on a budget, it's easiest when you get there because you can talk to people face to face. I recommend Argentian Grill as well. Great food, Great Drinks and free wi-fi! I also HIGHLY recommend Ronnies Barefoot Bar and Grill. It's in West End but just outside of town (not far). No shoes, no shirt, GREAT service and food!! Have fun, and congradulations to you! Roatan is amazing.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Spooky Channel and Blue Channel are two different places... lots of channels, named and unnamed, natural and artificial, through the reef. We swim a channel near our dock to see if bigger things are coming in from the outside of the reef... in and near the channel are the only places we see eagle rays...

Minneapolis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Hello! I too will be there for my honeymoon the same time as you! I am curious about excursions and fun things to do as well. We rented a private house in the sandy bay area- maybe we will see you around. If you find good ideas. Please let me know. I am actually going to take scuba classes up here in MN and I will become certified when I get down to Roatan in May!

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

There is a restaurant in West End called Creole Rotissorie chicken--cheap and great--glass bottom boat was great- 20 dollars.Cab driver named Carlan was very good and reasonable his phone number is 95604184. We just returned from there and had a wonderful time!!! Kolvard

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

To get the most out of your stay you need to dive. Either get certified so you can dive the rest of your life, or try a "discover scuba" class at any dive shop. No better place to dive or to learn. Once you take a dive it will conclude how to spend your vacation.

Blue Channel is off West End, a 40 foot deep cut through the reef with lots of critters. Spooky Channel is a cut through the reef at Sandy Bay, very narrow at the surface thus dark and spooky below. Very spooky, but not much life. Too spooky even for the fish.

Id also recommend a boat to Cochinos or pigeon Caye but not cheap. You don't really want to go cheap on your honeymoon.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 11:46