We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

British Columbia
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Hello all,

My fiance and I will be visiting Roatan May 22-29th for our honeymoon, staying at Bananarama in West Bay. Wondering if anyone has any tips on how we can get the most out of our 7 days? We're a young couple, somewhat adventurous, and love snorkeling. I've read that a water taxi to the West End would be a good day.. anything else we should see/do (on a budget)?

Michelle & Steve

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

A water taxi to West End isn't "a day"...it only a short boat ride there and there isn't a day's worth of things to explore there. That's just kind of a little side trip. People go back and forth to West End from West Bay all the time. I would definitely suggest that you do not miss doing a land tour of the island. The island is quite hilly so it makes for some picturesque views. Car rentals are inexpensive. If you notice that some less than ideal snorkeling weather is coming that could be a good day to do a land tour or do it on a day when the cruise ships are in as West Bay beach gets busier on those days.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

To get the most out of your vacation do not lose a day or 2 by forgetting the sunscreen. Apply it before you go for your adventure or whatever or wear a long sleeved shirt. Drink lots of water and enjoy. Saves you from being ill while you are there.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

dhauk - You seem to be very knowledgable and honest about all that is Roatan. Our family will be down there in April and will be doing a boat trip but do not know which would be better...Cochinos or Pigeon Cay? Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

We just got back today from our honeymoon there.

1. Eat lunch or dinner at Vincent's Beach bar. It's had the white balconies near the dock with the glass bottom boat, next to Foster's. it doesn't look like much but the cook is amazing!

2. Snorkel strait out from the Grand Roatan.

3. Go see the west end. $3 (or 60 lempira) per person water taxi.

4. Paddle boards from the folks in red shirts. Dave, Anita and Delaney are awesome and will tell you anything you want to know about.

5. $5 breakfast at Celeste's. It's at the end of the alley next to your hotel.

6. Go explore the island. If you can afford a driver do it. Danny, who works at Celeste's, set us up and it was the best way to see the culture. He took us to a local spot for lunch in Coxen Hole where we ate for $4 TOTAL! We also went zip lining and snorkeling. It was $150 for the whole day of Marvin driving us anywhere we wanted and the zip lining was included.

7. Eat at the Argentinian Grill.

8. Eat a Banana doughnut. You will understand after you get there.

9. Walk up the hill past Infinity Bay. The view is amazing.

10. Enjoy. It's a great place and you can get by on a budget.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

If you're going to get the most out of Roatan, diving is a must! The reefs are some of the most beautiful in the world--I'd recommend Infinity Bay whether you're looking to try it out or if you've dived before. If you're on a budget, Infinity Bay is your best bet & also a great experience.

Taking a water taxi to the west end is worthwhile but will probably only take a couple hours. If you're going to be in the area, check out the monkeys and birds at Gumbalimba park!

There's a couple places to zipline around the island, which I'd definitely recommend.

& you can't say you've truly experienced Roatan until you've tried a banana donut!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
495 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

Hey Michelle,

We have stayed at Bananarama half a dozen times and have always enjoyed it. Guy and his team will take good care of you!! You will be able to find many boats in the West Bay Area that will be willing to take you out snorkelling. A suggestion I would have is to make sure you see the actual boat that is going to take you out and do not pay anyone up front. Sometimes having a boat with a side ladder makes all the difference!! I recently heard West Bay Lodge is offering a snorkel trip which includes lunch and drinks and is approximately $40 per person which I think is a pretty good deal. We are on Roatan right now and did the SV Free Radical catamaran trip last week and can't say enough good things about Ed and Julie. It was some of the best money we have ever spent on a dat trip!! Have a great trip. You will love Roatan!!

17. Re: How to get the most of out of our 7 day stay in Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about West Bay
Recent Conversations