We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something comparable to Besos in West End.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Something comparable to Besos in West End.

Yay...I am coming back to Roatan in two days. Have been before (West Bay) but we never ate in West End in the evening. I know Besos is gone but that place had appealed to me. Any place kind of chic like that now...somewhere that I could wear my "dress" flip flops to. Thanks...can't wait.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

I was a big fan of Besos too. I understood that, after they moved out to Pristine Bay, their staff remained at Linga Longa, in West End at the Beach House right on the traffic circle. Right next to Sundowners. I guess that the ownership may have changed more than once, perhaps now returning to its original owner. But I;m just guessing; I'll find out for sure when I go next month. Anyway if it's still the same staff and still the same place, it's on a par with what Besos used to be: excellent cuisine, more continental than island, with white table cloths right on the beach. I too wear my best sandals there. With decent prices and such excellent food, I'm amazed the place is not more crowded.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

We never went to Besos, so I can't do a direct comparison... but we're huge fans of Pisco y Nazca. We liked it in Coral Stone in Sandy Bay... more convenient to us - but the view sucked. It's new digs just south of the church on the water side in West End has a great sunset view from the deck. I think Peruvian food is interesting and somewhat elegant... we love the food and the prices are good.

I wouldn't be as excited if I had to eat in the indoor dining room, but we got there early and got the best table by the railing... and it seemed everybody who dined on our evening got to sit outdoors. Like dhauk's comment - I can't believe a restaurant this good had so few people dining. Add it to your list to try...

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

Are reservations necessary for most of the restaurants including Pisco Y Nazca?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

The only reservation we've ever made was for Vintage Pearl some years back. But we like to go to dinner early so we can have a beer while the sun sets... many folks don't do dinner until later... Sometimes a reservation can be a good idea, especially if you want to request a particular table... and I'm told Frangiapani, the new upscalish restaurant in Sandy Bay / Mayoka Lodge requires reservations.

Even if you don't make a reservation, a call isn't a bad idea if you have access to a phone. Restaurants on the island are subject to unexplained closures with no warning. Sometimes it is something understandable, like a power outage or a kitchen fire. Other times it just goes unexplained. Four years ago Tongs was closed for two weeks and we didn't know why - turns out the owners needed some spices and ingredients and just decided to take a trip/vacation for several weeks - didn't tell anybody around them and didn't put a note on the door. So making a call or having a backup plan isn't a bad idea...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

Too funny you guys, Dhauk if you wear your best sandals to Linga Longa it sounds like it fits the bill. I think I will wear my leopard patterned flip flops there. Sir Idiot...thank goodness that Roatan still has that undeveloped aspect to it...kitchen fires, power outages...oh yah we just left for two weeks...we shall certainly check out Pisco y Nazca as well....hmmm ...maybe my pink flip flops for there....and of course a silky application of Deet to complete the evening ensemble. Thanks so much for these suggestions.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

Mmmm "Eau de DEET" sorry I'm gonna miss that! lol Have fun Sparky.

7. Re: Something comparable to Besos in West End.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17