We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holetown on the Cheap?

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Holetown on the Cheap?

My best friend and her boyfriend have been given a villa for the week and free flights to Barbados by her boss but we don't have much spending money. Can anyone let me know how expensive it is to eat and drink out in Holetown. Is there a reasonably priced supermarket so they could cook in the villa?

if you can recommend any nice but reasonably cheap restaurants that would be brilliant.

I presume for a week they don't need to hire a car and there is quite a bit to do in Holetown?

Thanks Loads.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 20:57
UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

I've seen the posts on the supermarket which is really useful and have a look at a few other posts too. But if anyones got anything else to add it would be useful, thanks

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

One of the least inexpensive places to eat in Holetown is Just Grillin. For three of us it ran $120 BDS which was $60 US. That's for three meals and drinks. There are places other than but mainly just fast food. The supermarket would be your best bet for saving money. Do easy things for breakfast and lunch like cereal and sandwiches. You can also buy fresh fish from the store or the fishermen and cook that up in the villa. Chances are the villa would have a grill.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

You don't need to hire a car ... Barbados has a good bus service and it's cheap. Just 1.5 BDS (about 50p) each per journey.

Ontario
Level Contributor
708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

The food vans offer up the best value at lunch time. For about $5 US you get a choice of fish, chicken, or pork and a couple of sides. Always tasty, filling and great value.

Try Papa Earl’s at the north end of Holetown just past Discovery Bay by the cricket field. He only makes vegetarian food but his mac pie and ginger lemonade are worth seeking him out. He’s there over lunchtime Tuesday – Friday. He loaded us up with a bit of everything (fed me for two meals) for $10 Bajan per person.

Another good one to try is the van parked up the side road between the Texaco gas station and West Coast Mall. Again for $10 Bajan we had a choice of fish, chicken, or pork with all the sides (rice, mac pie, coleslaw, roast veggies) Highly recommend the pork.

Also, Folkestone Marine Park is a short walk from Holetown and offers great snorkeling and a nice beach with lots of shade. Try the cheese cutter (sandwich) at the little food stand. It's the best cheese sandwich you'll ever taste!

I'm sure others will offer up more ideas on local restaurants and bars. I'm sure they'll love Barbados! :-)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

Village Deli inside SuperCentre in Holetown will feed you well for under 20bds.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

Supermarket is great, try to buy locally produced goods, cheaper. Prices similar to here for many things.

'Just Grillin' is cheap and tasty, eating on the verandah.

'Indigo', just off the main road, upstairs, is very reasonable and lovely (open everyday but only Tues/Thurs eve). Excellent pizza and fish.

Plenty of lovely beaches around Holetown, but I really would suggest you get a car fro a couple of days at least as there's so much to see and do around the island. I've used "FATJACKS' car rental a few times, cheapest I've found on the island. Get a mini-moke if possible. The buses will take you on the main roads (must visit Speightstown) but many of the fab places are a bit off the beaten track (eg Bottom bay, the best place in the world!!

we've stayed in Holetown 7 times in the past 6 years, so ask away if you need to know anything!

Edited: 13 April 2010, 23:11
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

I purchased some delicious sandwiches with lots of fries at the Sunset Crest mall for around $22 BBDS. I think it's a decent lunch option. Just Grillin' is another spot for inexpensive to moderately priced dinner. There's also that little cafe inside of Chattel Village. You may want to look into that place. (I'm not sure of the price of the food.) Over all I've found that street food and vans to provide the most (and best tasting) food for the dollar.

BB

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

Hi BB, Which street food and vans are you referring to?

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

You will find food vans all over Babados at lunchtime they are essentially found near large hotels and provide food for the hotel workers. There are even 2 or 3 outside Sandy Lane!!!

10. Re: Holetown on the Cheap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 06:20