We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have we made the right choice?

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Have we made the right choice?

Hi,

We leave for Barbados soon & although are really excited, I'm not sure if we have made the right choice on location...

We will be staying @ the all seasons in holetown (which has had a few poor reviews recently) but the more I read the more I wonder if we should've stayed in the gap. We enjoy going out in the evening (to eat & then drink) & are interested in being close to good beaches...

What do you all think? Am I just panicking unnecessarily?

Thanks

T

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have we made the right choice?

You will be fine - stop worrying - you will have a lovely time...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have we made the right choice?

Let's get real here. How much do you want to spend? If you want the ultimate the go to Sandy Lane. If you just want a clean tidy place to stay with a walk to the beach and shopping and not spend a fortune then stay where you are....not a problem. So what do you want?

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have we made the right choice?

Thats a bit harsh ! It was the location not the accomodation that the OP was querying

I dont know if its possible for you to change accomodation or if you would really want/need to? Also are you thinking of hiring a car?

All Seasons is only a short distance from Holetown. There are lots of choices of bars/restaurants both in 1st/2nd street as well as on the beach - Surfside/Zaccios/The Beach house to name a few. Also its quite easy to get the bus/taxi along the main road which will easily get you to other bars/restaurants within easy distance.

If you hire a car then you could get to most beaches on the island - or by bus it would only take a few minutes to either Paynes Bay or Mullins Beach.

The Gap does have the advantage if you want to stay out very late - the bars close around 2-3 am ish

Some of the tour operator trips go to late night places such as Harbour Lights and transport is usually included so maybe worth checking out what they offer?

Hope this helps

Edited: 14 March 2011, 00:02
UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have we made the right choice?

Thank you Scary & trip7Uk for your advice.

Yes Trip7 you are right, I was talking more about location. I dont know why people post unhelpful comments on here!

Sounds like we have made a good choice and yes, we were thinking of hiring a car for part of our stay so that we can see the whole island!

sounds like we will be close to lots of amenities, which is great!

Thanks again!

:-)

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have we made the right choice?

P.s Have just checked out harbour lights online. Looks great. Have u been? Also, I see the boatyard is close by too!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have we made the right choice?

You will have a fantastic holiday. We stayed near Holetown last year & loved going out at night to Groots, Zacchios(great sunset views) and Surfside. Just Grillin' was also good for a reasonably priced meal. Mullins Beach is lovely & we ate lunch there one day too. There were lots of other places we wanted to try but ran out of time so let us know how you got on when you return.

manchester, nh
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have we made the right choice?

We stayed just a couple of nights in Holetown on our way elsewhere but I loved it and would go there again. We did not get to see The Gap area, our cab brought up on an inland route, but from what I hear that area is more of a young, partying type of place. If I had thought quickly enough I would have asked for the longer route.

Holetown has very good to excellent restaurants, decent shopping, and where we were the town was an easy walk from our resort. I presume Holetown is the more upscale area, lots of designer type shops, etc. It seems to me that if you want to do some sightseeing, those things are generally closer to Holetown also. Barbados is an island that is more than a sunny beach resort, it's rich in culture and history and the Bajans are very hospitable and courteous.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have we made the right choice?

Holetown is great ! Sunday evenings the One Love Bar opens it's shutters and you can drink rum and coke from plastic glasses whilst listening to shocking but very funny Kareoke in the street. The atmosphere is great and the Bajans come out to enjoy it also. There are lots of bars and restaurants not too far away. Elbow Room is must and Oistins fish fry on Fri night is something you can't miss.

You will have a great time !!!

Alberta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Have we made the right choice?

You will love your location. Very close to everything. Surfside, Just Grill'n and many fun Rum Shops on first street (the Sunday night street party is a must). Supercenter and Chattle Village are near by. The buses run often and are very cheap (1.50bds). Hop a yellow bus to Bridgetown, sit back and enjoy the sights and tunes. Or spend a day walking the beach. I am confident you will enjoy the location.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have we made the right choice?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.

Not long until we go now & we cant wait!!

Your responses have eased my concerns.

I'll write a post when we return to let you know how we got on!

:-)