We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Hi

I am looking for some advice on the following:

We are staying at a villa at the royal Westmoreland in August and not sure whether to hire cars / 6 seater or just rely on cabs. I know that there is a shuttle bus that runs to the beach club but wondering how practicle it would be to get cabs for 6 people.

We are there to celebrate several special birthdays and enjoy good food and wine. So we are looking for some good restaurants etc, There are 2 teenagers [16 & 18] in the party and dont want something OTT price wise, however good food, service and ambience is important.

Are there supermarkets nearby and can you purchase gluten free products in Barbados.

We are keen to spend time on the beach and noticed previously that Royal Westmoreland clients had access to the beach facilities at the Colony Club. Does anyone know if you can still use the facilities at the CC.

Also...my final question! Any suggestions for night life in the area, that teenagers would enjoy?

Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Quite frankly, if you're staying at Westmoreland then you should get a car of some sort. You have to drive everywhere from there except to play golf and tennis.

Barbados
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

RW has their own beach facility at Mullins Beach. As mentioned you will need a car to get anywhere.

For gluten free products check out The Maas Clinic Cafe. http://www.themaasclinic.com/

Newcastle
Level Contributor
432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Hi we stayed at Royal Westmoreland last August & I would suggest hiring a car. It's not that far to Holetown but you wouldn't want to walk that road & I'm not sure how easy it would be to get taxis for 6 every time you wanted to go out. We enjoyed Zacchios in Holetown to watch the sunset as we had our evening meal. Surfside is more casual but the food was good. Make sure you go there for the steel band. Sunday possibly? Our 6 year old loved Just Grillin' which is like an outdoor kiosk place but food was tasty. We also ate at Groots but there was hardly anybody else there so not much atmosphere.

We had snacky lunches by the pool at RW several times & it was always very nice. Had lunch once at Mullins Beach. Very nice. We did see people using the shuttle bus to go to the beach from RW but we always drove & there's plenty parking there.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

I would bring your own gluten free pasta, biscuits,crackers and bread with you cos it costs a fortune out here. I bake with rice flour out here but your on holiday - there won't be any restrictions on the things I've mentioned. So its a no-brainer in my book. I would hire your vehicle it will be more convenient and work out cheaper.

UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Def hire a car....have stayed at RW a few times and a car was quite important....even just to nip to the supermarket in holetown. Lobster alive is good on a sunday as they have a jazz band....on a beautiful beach and water sports available for the teenagers...

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Thanks so much for your advice. Will definately hire a couple of cars now and bring my own GF food! Can anyone recommend a good car hire company?

Tils

Newcastle
Level Contributor
432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

We used Stoutes. You can either pick up at the airport or they will deliver a car to you at your accommodation. We found them to be very friendly and helpful. They were recommended by the villa owners from RW.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Hi!

Sorry to be so late in replying.

Stayed at RWM a couple of years back, I agree you definitely need a car. Plus a car is great to get out and see the island.

All beaches in Barbabdos are public, so you can go anywhere you want. RWM has a shuttle bus to Mullins beach which is viewable on the RWM webcam. Just go to RWM homepage and you will see link to webcam. It's abit busy at the moment, must be the holidays!

Loads of retaurants in Holetown say 5 - 10 mins drive away.

Can't help with teenagers I'm afraid, way out of my area of expertise lol!

Emelda

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

Oh, and Stoutes for me too. They will deliver car to your villa if you want.

Other car rental companies are available!

Emelda

10. Re: car or taxis from royal westmoreland and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:18