We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meat market near Holetown?

Grapevine, TX
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Meat market near Holetown?

Helloe everyone. Here now and enjoying our stay thanks to all of the great tips on the forum.

Quick question....Went to the Super Store to pick up supplies for the condo. Meat section was a little bare. Are there any specific meat markets or butcher places nearby? Looking for something to grill out at the condo. Not too picky but noticed that beef was pretty expensive. Also,upon check in our friendly owner let us know that there was a local fruit and vegatable stand near but we are not able to locate. Would love to purchase some fresh stuff from a local stand. We are near bridge just over from the Limegrove shopping center.

Thanks as always everyone. Let me know if anyone needs info about the area and would be happy to recon for them.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

Local Angus beef which can be bought in Supercentre is very reasonable and excellent. You must have caught them on a bad day or restocking or something - they do have a butchers window where you can ask for certain cuts - usually close to the meat fridges. I would suggest checking back because that isn't the norm and if you don't see something ask.

With regard to fruit and veg stands if you walk down (South towards Bridgetown) to Sandy Crest medical Centre in Holetown there is a large fruit and veg stand there - should take about 5 minutes or a little longer, depending on your speed.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,157 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

bash123k

I agree with Scary, you probably caught them on a bad day. I would however recommend that if you have a rental car, you drive to the Super Centre flahship store at Warrens. I was just there and lots of various cuts of beef were available. It's a 15 minute drive from your location.

Regards

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

If you meet any local people ( your maid for instance ) ask them if they have a card for Pricesmart at Warrens, and if so, can you go shopping with them.? They stock the most wonderful, top quality beef, quite a bit cheaper than Supercentre and WAY cheaper than the UK, but then, you are used to cheap meat where you come from.

Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 20:21
Grapevine, TX
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

Thanks everyone. Found the fruit and vegetable stand by the medical center and bought more than we could carry! Bananas didn't even make it back to the condo. Ate them on the way home.

Also found a neat little place called the Gourmet Shop in the little group of tourist shops called the Chattel Village that has a list of meat. Nice little place with cheese, chocolate, wine etc. Very nice lady at the counter and we bought some cheese and snacks.

Thanks again everyone. What a wonderful place. We are having a great time and can help anyone if they need info about Holetown. We are on foot and exploring for now just around the area.

Looking to take a bus trip to the South Coast tomorrow and will let everyone know how it goes.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,157 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

bash123k

Good news. Hope today's gloomy weather didn't adversely affect you.

Regards

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

Oooh bash --------------did you buy a bag of home made "cheese coins " at the Gourmet Shop ?? They are my very favourite. I always tell the ladies not to let me buy them too often, but of course, they always do.!

Have you noticed that there is also a Take Away shop of home cooked meals behind Texaco Garage, and of course the wonderful Japanese shop in Lime Grove. This sells daily made Sushi, wonderful smoked salmon, shrimp, crab and an array of interesting and tasty food. Well worth a look.

You are staying midst a haven of good food!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

My husband and I will be going for 3 weeks in March..staying in the Holetown area. I have not been to Barbados since the 70's and am very excited. Can you give me an idea on a groceries? Would like to 'budget' for two people for 3 weeks? Eating in say 50 - 60% of the time. And is there places to get fresh fish and or seafood?

Thanks so much!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,157 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

Smarties43

I responded to your question re:Grocery Prices in another thread a short while ago.

Since you are staying in Holetown, I'd suggest driving 7-10 minutes north to the Berinda Cox Fish Market at Weston St. James where you can purchase fresh fish. For seafood, you'll find an excellent variety at Super Centre Sunset Crest.

Hope this helps

Regards

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meat market near Holetown?

Thanks so much!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados