We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Barbados Advice

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Barbados Advice

I will be taking my first trip to Barbados over the holidays and I would like some additional advice from people who have stayed in Holetown. I am currently planning on staying at Villas on the Beach, however I have heard that it is better to stay in a gated community such as Westmoreland / Sandy Lane. Since I prefer to be close to the water is there any reason why I should reconsider aside from amenities i.e. safety. Are beaches in Barbados public? If so, what beach do you recommend near villas on the beach (heard beach in front of condo is a strip of sand). Transportation - I kiteboard and would like to visit the south side of the island. Last year we stayed in St. Lucia where a SUV is a must. What kind of car is recommended for Barbados?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Barbados Advice

There is no reason at all why you should reconsider your choice of Villas on the Beach. I live in non gated condos in Holetown, and find that it is the "gated" comunities that have the most thefts. This , I believe, is because high security signifies " Something worth stealing " .

Just use your common sense and lock your doors when you are not there, and at night, and lock valuables in the safe when not in use. The most common thief here is the oportunist.

Villas on the beach are in a brilliant position regarding the restaurants and shops of Holetown------------you will be able to walk everywhere . They are on Holetown Beach and you have two good beach bars a minute away.

If you hire a car, I would suggest one with high suspension for comfort. Some of our roads leave a little to be desired. Perhaps a small jeep type vehicle which are easier to park and drive on narrow roads than big S SUV's

I'm sure you will have a great time Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 13:13
Lancz
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Barbados Advice

If you are rich and famous you may prefer to be locked away in an exclusive enclave..however in Barbados there is no need to do this. I have visited 15 times and have no hesitation in recommending self catering / apartments close to the beaches.

Common sense principles of security should apply just as they would anywhere in the world. Holetown is a great base with easy walking to many top class restaurants, and easy taxi travel to world class restaurants.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Barbados Advice

I would stick with your plan to stay at Villas on the Beach. I am making my 25th visit to Barbados next week and the majority of these stays have been in and around Holetown and I have never stayed in a gated complex ... there is absolutely no need to.

As others have said, you will be in a great central position with everything you could need within easy walking distance.

There are no private beaches in Barbados by the way. The beach directly at Villas on the beach is a little narrow and is right at the beginning of the new boardwalk. If you want to visit a much larger beach then Paynes Bay is just a 5 minute drive away or you can hop on the bus.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 18:34
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Barbados Advice

Thanks everyone!

5. Re: Looking for Barbados Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Holetown
Recent Conversations