We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Bay Hotel

Lancashire
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery Bay Hotel

Just read about the "Holetown Waterfront Project" and it seems like the Discovery Bay Hotel is not the place to stay. We are booked in there for 3 weeks from 8/11/13 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. If anyone has latest info and/or has stayed there very recently, please let me know the latest position. Should I be contacting Virgin Holidays for a change of hotel ?

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Well maybe that is so Jane - but why did Discovery Bay notify some guests but not others? - the ones notified were able to get altered accommodation through BA -.... seems Virgin doesn't use the same "fair play" guidelines!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Well maybe that is so Jane - but why did Discovery Bay notify some guests but not others? - the ones notified were able to get altered accommodation through BA -.... seems Virgin doesn't use the same "fair play" guidelines!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Did DB actually inform any guests Anothersadowner or did guests enquire as to the state of play at DB?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Thanks Westiegal - you're a star - thank goodness that there are people like you who care enough to help others

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

As you can read below Jane - Discovery Bay notified the OP here KimmeH to tell her that "They contacted me to say that the Holetown Waterfront rejuvenation project is running over and there is disruption - but they wont specify how bad it is" - That seems to say that they DB contacted her doesn't it?

17. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

today, 20:13

on TA - Holetown Waterfront thread Oct 17 - FYI copied from post by KimmeH - Discovery Bay notified her!

Holetown Waterfront Project

17 October 2013, 15:42

hello folks,

I am due to be staying at Discovery Bay hotel in 3 weeks time -November 9th. They contacted me to say that the Holetown Waterfront rejuvenation project is running over and there is disruption - but they wont specify how bad it is. Can anyone tell me what it's like there at the moment? I don't fancy sharing the beach with diggers and building equipment. Mango Bay hotel told me that their beach was shut for 4 days. Would be great to know how far the disruption is along the beach and where might be a better place to stay slightly further south.

thanks very much

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Fair enough but as she said they wouldn't state the amount of disruption.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

CharlieHnM----------------I hope it may have made them do something, but only time will tell. Good luck to you and hold out for another Hotel -----------Mango Bay is work free now and a good alternative we have noise, but the work is interesting to watch, especially if it's not affecting your holiday and you have a beach to lie on.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

It is disappointing to hear of Virgin's response Westigal ...having such a presence on the island I would have expected them to be more in tune with what is going on locally? The Holetown beach project is obviously more than a 'lick and promise job' so it's surprising they deny knowledge of the extent of it. Given the size of the island it would take the local manager no more than half an hour (give or take) to check it out himself/herself.

I must admit to being a virgin fan over the years however having read this I am concerned at their responses and attitude. If it wasn't for threads like this on TA people would be left in a limbo on arrival at a building site.

cardiff
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

I don't want to sound like I'm standing up for Virgin but I've been on Discovery Bay website and there is no mention of the work being carried out on the beach. They are also showing a video published on 8th Oct 2013 showing no signs of the work, they even show people on the beach although they were closed. Come on Rex Resorts catch up with what's going on in Barbados.

P.S. keep up the good work Westiegal3 and everyone else who have kept us all up to date

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Discovery Bay Hotel

Daddycool I am Virgin's most loyal supporter when it comes to flights, but Virgin Holidays have an office in Barbados and considering the fact that both the TV and Newspapers have given a huge amount of coverage to the Holetown Beach Restoration story over the last 6 months , they could not have missed it unless all the staff live on another planet.

The fact is, the Manager told me they know about it, but would do nothing until the Hotel told them . Their Rep has actually SEEN it and still they wait for word from Discovery Management whom, it would seem also live on another planet ????

Get answers to your questions about Holetown