We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

Hi me and hubby are thinking of staying here in May, can someone tell me does this hotel provide beach/pool towels and are there plenty of sun loungers and shade at this hotel ?

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

the hotel has plenty of beach loungers - they do provide beach/pool towels (sometimes there is a tendency to run out of those) - huge beautiful garden has lots of shade - and there are palapas and beach umbrellas on the beach - that said.....

May???....ummmmmm - not sure if this is going to be a good time to go there - April will be fine - but Govt is due to finish the work on the gully/fluidiser by DB recommencing this year at some time - no time line has been given (we have asked) - and so - really cannot say if the work will have recommenced by the time you are due to arrive - or if it will be postponed/ delayed/ put off........ all rather uncertain - sorry.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

Thanks for this information, not really sure what gully/fluidiser means, will this be a big disruption to the hotel ?? I have noticed the work on the beach has now as well as rooms being refurbished finished so thought it would be safe to go now : (

We are also looking at the Island Inn hotel but put off a bit as its not directly on the beach and don't fancy paying £10 a day hire charges for loungers and shade.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

The work undertaken to save the beach last Summer was forced to complete before it was finished. The work left involves the gully next door to Discovery Bay, and is suppose to recommence in the Spring after High Season, This will affect the beach in front of the Hotel severely, with the possibility of Trucks and JCB type machinery taking it over as it did in October / November. At the moment no definite date has been given, but I fear that you will not be informed by your Travel Agent if it happens in May because most agents were denying it last time.

If you book , I would make it clear to your agent, that you expect to be told if the work begins at the time of your holiday and that you also expect to be moved to another Hotel.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

I would just not book there if there was a chance I had to be moved. However, the hotel does seem to have done their best in a difficult situation according to reviews on TA and despite all the gloom and doom reports on this forum.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

This is like groundhog day : ( We booked May last year with British Airways to stay at the Coconut Court and found out on TA of major building work at the hotel, when I called BA they had no knowledge and wouldn't help us move to another hotel, so we cancelled it. Desperate to visit Barbados as I have always wanted to go but only have a limited budget, would it be best to book Island Inn hotel ?? any advice on other hotels would be helpful, we want to go all inclusive and have £3000 to spend with a good beach.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

also would it be worth me emailing Discovery Bay about when this work will commence ??

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

I'm afraid there is no point in emailing Disco Bay as a) None of us "Stake Holders " know the date as I said, and b) half the trouble was caused last year by the Hotel refusing to admit to Travel Agents that work was occurring. BA only believed it when they were shown posts on this forum !!!

Discovery is a great place to stay in terms of location, and if there is no work, it has a great beach, but no one can say what is going to happen at this stage.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 18:42
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

ps Have you thought of self catering , which you can easily do on your budget.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

Ok so that's Disc Bay out then, We was going to go self catering last year, but hubby feels we may end up spending more this way, will like a few drinks day and evening and not into eating in barside grills/foodstalls and the more fancy restaurants are more expensive, so thought we would play it safe and go AI.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts

The flights alone would be £1200 plus transportation to and from the airport. You are looking at at least £100 per night plus food and drinks,therefore if you can get AI for £3000 you have got a bargain.