We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money matters

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Money matters

Hi again

I am reading that I can get a better exchange rate in the barbados bank do they charge a commission?

Also is kingfish (wahoo) on the menu anywhere?

Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money matters

No to the first if it is cash but they might charge for travellers cheques, it's an individual bank policy for the cheques and yes to the second. King fish is seasonal though.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money matters

Afraid you won't get agreement on this site on currency! The following is a very short explanation and there are anomalies US$ are accepted everywhere, in the main at a rate of BDS$2 to US$1. In general the rate you can buy US$ in UK is in line with what you will get if you exchange sterling for BDS$ in Barbados.

For me, I just take US$. Saves time travelling and queuing in banks (and potential costs of bus/taxi/petrol). Which can be spent on beach.

There will be others who say take Sterling and the end result might or might not be the same. One thing we all agree on is don't buy Barbados $ in UK.

Re King Fish it is widely available and very tasty!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money matters

I agree with the first comment - if you bring cash there is no commission charged and it is the best thing to do!

The banks here give a better rate of exchange to the UK pound than you will get in the UK for Barbados/US dollars.

For the rest of your trip I would suggest using a debit card via ATM.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money matters

L0bstar

And also note that all banks have the exact same rates as set out by the Central Bank of Barbados on any given day.

Regards

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money matters

I know this post is old but in case anyone is browsing I will chuck my 5 cents worth in.

Most UK banks have partners in tourist destinations that will offer a slightly better rate on an ATM cash withdrawal. Ask at your bank before you travel.

I take US dollars for the first bit of cash and then use the ATM, make sure you pull cash out in reasonable chunks as a lot of banks charge a minimum fee that reverts to a percentage over a certain amount.I pay for everything in cash to avoid the transaction charges associated with card usage overseas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money matters

Always take sterling cash and change at bank to BDS.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money matters

Hi

We are staying at the House, are there any banks close by if I want to change Sterling into BDS? Also, if I take US Dollars with me, are they readily accepted in restaurans, bars etc or would I still have to change them up to BDS?

Many thanks

Edited: 15 September 2014, 13:40
Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money matters

They will take U.S. dollars everywhere, but you will get your change in Barbados dollars/

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money matters

There are no banks within walking distance of The House. You would have to go in to Holetown on the bus about a 5 or 10 minute ride away.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money matters

There are no banks within walking distance of The House. You would have to go in to Holetown on the bus about a 5 or 10 minute ride away.