We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 days in Monteverde

Austin TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
1.5 days in Monteverde

We are driving from the Arenal area to Monteverde on a morning, leaving at about 8am. We will be staying at Los Pinos for 2 nights. I plan to do a tour of the cloud forest preserve in the morning on the full day we'll be there. What are ideas for the half day we'll have after the drive from Arenal? Cheese factory (does it cost)? Walk around Santa Elena?

Pasion Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Forest Alive
Sightseeing Tours
Esteban Daily Guided Tours
Walking Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Nasua Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

I do not remember the exact fee for the cheese factory...but is nice and informative...Santa Elena is a tiny little village...no much to see but a lot of people looking for somenthing to eat or just doing errands!

roadadvisor

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

I highly recommend doing a night tour. Not to be missed.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

Cheese factory tour is $10.00 and starts at 2:00Pm. Have Rafa set it up for you if you want. It is interesting in that you find out some of the history of Monteverde and how the factory started.

Night tours in my opinion can be great or so so. Dont go with high expectations and you can enjoy it.

Rafa at Los Pinos can give you info on everything to do and some suggestions.

Thanks for visiting Monteverde.

newport, ky
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

Not sure about the cheese factory myself. Walking around Sante Elena won't take much time. You can see all of it in 30-60 minutes. If you're into adventure i highly recommend a zip-line tour. The hanging bridges are also fun. It's a different perspective of the cloud forest that you won't get from the guided reserve tour. Have fun!!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

Santa Elena town is lovely, I recommend enjoying your dinner there. And the cheese factory is best to do in the afternoon.

The other great things to do there, I personally prefer the skytrek here and if the weather is good at night to do a night tour of the nocturnal animals.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

We just drove from Arenal to Monteverde in July. Around Lake Arenal to Tilaran then on to Santa Elena. We stopped at the german bakery outside Arenal for sweet snacks on the way, then again for coffee and view at Macademia and Coffee on the hillside overlooking the Lake just before Tilaran. . From Tilaran the road to Santa Elena is pretty rough. You will be reluctant to go more than 25 MPH, if that in spots. Pretty drive, but hard on vehicle and occupants.

The whole trip from Arenal to Santa Elena (with our sightseeing stops) took 4 hours.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

Where do you recommend to stay in Monteverde? How many days should we stay to enjoy the area?

Judy

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

It depends about your budget...many places to stay...I really like El Establo...also Sapo Dorado...Belmar Hotel...Poco a Poco....Heliconia...Fondabella...and many Cabinas I really like Cabinas Los Pinos...Rustic Lodge ....also the hotel Montana Monteverde...they started all...really PIONEERS!

roadadvisor

Edited: 24 July 2010, 01:37
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

El Establo is indeed nice. I believe It is right next door to Los Pinos. We stayed in Los Pinos for 2 nights and enjoyed it. Los Pinos is self catering and we found it convenient to shop at a market and get some breakfast foods, milk etc. There is a microwave, electric cooktop, refridgerator

Edited: 24 July 2010, 16:55
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1.5 days in Monteverde

In addition to hiking in the reserves, we did a zipline and then a night hike at Hidden Valley. We had great sightings on the night hike and saw a sloth, raccoon, fox, coati, agouti, tarantula, and a porcupine. It was really fun to hike around in the jungle with flashlights. We got put into a great group of people and just loved it. Fonda Vela is a nice place to stay; it's close to the reserve, and the new junior suites are pretty nice and affordable. Ours had a small refrigerator and a bathtub, and there's a good restaurant on site. We saw toucans on the property.