We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time in Monteverde ????

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
time in Monteverde ????

Not being a bird watcher or insect lover, but love hiking/exploring, is Monteverde really worth the long slow drive there. We are in Arenal for 2 nights already, Is there a big difference in the 2 areas. Thank you.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time in Monteverde ????

Not really.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,663 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time in Monteverde ????

In you case I will said...that 2 night is good enough...that is my humble opinion and with all my respect since I do not know anything about your travels preferences!

Arenal and Monteverde are located at the same mountain system...very much the same vegetation...same insects...and wild life...a lot more to do in Arenal...but always nice to be at the relaxing athmosphere of Monteverde!

roadadvisor

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time in Monteverde ????

IF you get good weather the MV cloud forest reserve has some fantastic trails for hiking and exploring.With the map you get at the entrance it's easy to head out on your own and explore the back trails that the tour groups don't reach. The trails are all well marked and maintained, and IMO are some of the best in Costa Rica! Sure, it can be a pain to get to, but the cloud forest is a special place that is a bit different from Arenal. If you do make it to the cloud forest reserve you might hike the" loop" that covers the Bosque Nuboso - Pantanoso - El Rio trails(sendero's)-- a really nice hike through primary cloud forest that you won't forget!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time in Monteverde ????

2 nights is the perfect length to stay in Monteverde. You will definitely see different animals there. I live in La Fortuna and what I saw in Monteverde that I've not seen here yet were: Agouti, Resplendent Quetzel, about 5 species of hummingbirds (at the Hummingbird Gallery across from the park) and many other really cool birds. Even if you're not into birds it's definitely worth the trip. It is MUCH colder in MV than it is here so you definitely get a different experience with the two areas. :-) Enjoy!

Wendy at the Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time in Monteverde ????

I wouldn't go to Monteverde, birding is one of the areas draw, stay in Arenal/La Fortuna area extra night or two, or if you are going some where else added to that location. The only thing I liked about Monteverde was its cool weather and the Monteverde Cheese and ice cream factory, Sorry!!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time in Monteverde ????

Unless you have a few extra days I would skip MV. We spent 1/2 to get there 1 day there and 1/2 to go to MA after and I didn't think it was worth it.

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time in Monteverde ????

I'm sorry we went. Just got back and it was so windy and cold that we couldn't escape fast enough. I regret that we wasted the time & expense.

8. Re: time in Monteverde ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 10:20