We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

We just returned from 10 days in Costa Rica -- San Jose, Arenal, Monteverde, and Playa Samara. Upon returning home, one of the people who had traveled with us developed severe joint pain and high fevers. Ultimately, he was hospitalized and found to have Dengue Fever.

Our trip to Costa Rica was amazing and I would not hesitate to return to this wonderful country! But please take precautions to prevent Dengue Fever when traveling to Costa Rica. It is a virus transmitted by mosquitoes, so wear long sleeves when possible, and lots of insect repellent! Our friend is a very healthy 29 year old, so it was scary how sick he became -- it can happen to anyone. But we definitely were not as careful as we could have been to prevent mosquito bites.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Good advice and one that has been written over and over again here in the forums.

Glad you had such a good time and hope your friend is OK now. Dengue can be a nasty thing but some people don't have that bad a time with it. Guess he was just not lucky!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Sorry to heard that...as I answer your other post...a recent case of dengue from a Costarican visiting Orlando Florida...more dengue in Florida than in Costa Rica...be extra carefull with Micky Mouse!

Just bring insect repellent!

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi,

I am curious to know if your friend used insect repellent at all?? I am wondering if it is possible to get the disease even if you use repellent?

We are going to Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio in 2 weeks and I know there is serious Dengue Fever outbreak now in Tamarindo...

I really hope your friend feels better :(

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Sara_ocean: I live here in Tamarindo and I'm not aware of any outbreak of Dengue Fever. It's been dry as a bone here for some time, so an outbreak is unlikely. Where did you get this information?

Sorry to hear about the 29 year old. Yes, everyone needs to take precautions - insect repellent, long pants in the evenings, and importantly. If you feel anything biting you other than your significant other... don't wait - get out of the area!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Yes, you can get Dengue even if you use repellent. Dengue is passed by the bite of a Dengue mosquito. So, if a little criminal gets past your defenses and bites you, you can still get it.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

fco.gov.uk/en/…costa-rica

and

…cdc.gov/travel/content/outbreak-notice/deng…

Mosquitoes loveeeeeeee my blood...I am so scared :((( and feel trapped..I was so excited to see Costa Rica..but I KNOW even if I use repellent, wear protective clothings, ect, I will still get a few bites, one of which can easily be Dengue...

Where in Tamarindo and CR in general shall I avoid (known for mosquitoes)? Thanks!

7. Re: Dengue Fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 07:30
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks...we cancelled our flights and paid the penalties..I just felt so uncomfortable and wouldn't have been relaxed..I am sure Costa Rica is a BEAUTIFUL country and can't wait to visit when the number of outbreaks go down a bit! ...Thanks for the info.

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

I had a severe cas of Dengue a couple of years ago, from Honduras.

It has not stopped me from traveling to Central America, but I am extra careful and use lots of deet

When ever the subject comes up on TA, I try to advise responsibly

There is no Vacination to prevent Dengue, nor any thing to cure it. They can only treat the symptoms

It is also prevalant in Urban areas, not just in the jungle

I feel the more people that are aware of Dengue and take pecautions to protect themselves, the less chance of spreading to others

All that said, the chances of getting Dengue are very rare and the best prevention is to not get bitten

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
620 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

As for Monteverde due to our altitude we hardly ever see a mosquito.

Get answers to your questions about Monteverde