We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Trek for kids

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Trek for kids

Question for anyone who has been on Sky Trek with kids - their website says the minimum age is 8. Can an 8 year old really handle this? It's not fear I'm worried about, obviously that varies kid to kid and I can just ask my kids (and am pretty sure they'll want to do it). I'm more concerned about them being able to physically handle the brakes, etc. My son will be 8 1/2 when we're there but is a little over 4 feet tall and weighs just 50 lbs. Has anyone done this with an 8 year old? Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,045 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Trek for kids

The best ...once you are there see if they will take him or her...my 10 years old...was happy to try...but once there she did backup!

roadadivsor

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Trek for kids

Yes for sure 8 year olds can handle it. You would be surprised. They do it every day.

My advice is skip Sky trek and do Selvatura instead. Cheaper, more fun, free transport and they have a Tarzan swing. And yes 8 year olds can do that too.

At Selvatura the guides will go TAXI with the kids the first or all zip lines.

Parents need not worry. But make sure you do what the guides say.

Thanks for visiting Monteverde. You will Love it!

Do El trapiche and Santa Maria night tour as well. If you dont like those please post back here that I am giving out bad advice.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
243 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Trek for kids

We did Sky Trek in April with my 10 year old son. He weighs about 60 pounds. He was required to go tandem with the guide on every line except the last or second to last one. At that age they are too light to get all the way across the cable. Lastly, Sky Trek does not require you to brake. The guides do it for you. All you have to do is spread your legs wide as you approach the platform.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Trek for kids

Good post jfitzp. So true.

What I believe living here and doing all the canopies is that the non brake system at sky trex is a disadvantage.

Braking by hand is sooo cool. It allows you to just go for it and experience the vibe.

At other ones a small lightweight kid can go on their own. No problem.

Its not unsafe at all.

But no problem since the canopy tour started here in Monteverde in the cloud forest with any of the like 7 ones we have here you will love it.

Sky Trex, Selvatura, Extremos, Aventura or any of the others you will love.

Visit Monteverde and cool off. Have a great time all in Costa Rica!!

5. Re: Sky Trek for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 17:17