We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit Monteverde?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we visit Monteverde?

After reading some posts, I am having second thoughts about going to Monteverde? We are traveling with two childred, 3 and 8. We are spending two night in Arenal and 3 in Tamarindo. Should we just extend our stay in Arenal? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Whats worrying you about your visit to Monteverde? It's an amazing place to visit if you have the time. Perhaps if we knew your specific concerns we could provide more info?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Just that someone posted it might be boring for the kids.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

If they're going to be happy in Arenal I suspect they'll be happy in Monteverde. I'd say traveling time might be a factor to consider. Frog pond and serpentarium could be of interest, at least to the elder.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
578 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Kids love Motneverde. Big ones or little ones. As Simon points out fun stuff to do here.

Great night tours, EL Trapiche tour which kids love. Zip lines and the Cloud Forest.

Lots to do.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Monteverde felt like more countryside to me than Arenal and I think it would be a TERRIFIC nature atmosphere for children with LOTS to do. I can't speak for you and your kids as I don't know what you/they would be interested in, but activity options include: the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve; sky walk on suspension bridges over the cloud forest; horseback riding for kids; a frog pond; a snake museum; a butterfly museum; a bat jungle; a twilight (early evening) tour at the Children's Eternal Forest; a sugar cane tour, during which you get to sample goods made with it; a coffee tour; a cheese tour, and I'm sure there are other things I've omitted. Does that sound boring for your kids???

Edited: 05 November 2011, 04:39
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Dear Priscie

My little ones 8 and 10 we just spend a couple nights at Hotel El Establo in Monteverde...they just love the place...

This one not our first time in Monteverde...we stayed also some time ago at Sapo Dorado...nice cabin even with a fire palce...my kids love it!

incredible area...so many of my dear friends live there...my kids drove with me all over the place...we were looking for quetzals and also looking for a guy that I was looking to said hi...we found his house but he was not in...but we saw many great quetzals...

My kids love the hikes...the Cheese factory...the reserve...etc...

roadadvisor

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

Monteverde was one of our family's favorite places in Costa Rica.

(we enjoyed it so much we are planning another trip to include a visit in March)

There is lots to do. The country is beautiful and as with all of Costa Rica the people are fantastic.

My recommendations would be go to the Cloud Preserve with a private guide--that way he can focus on what your family is interested. If you have a backpack/carrier for your little one, take it--if not you may want to consider getting one. That way you can hike and know he/she is secure--and they have a great view.

Frog pond and the coffee tour-EL Trapiche are child appropriate.

Enjoy!

8. Re: Should we visit Monteverde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 05:15