We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Yorba Linda...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

In December 2011 we traveled for the US to Costa Rica for a fun vacation. We made the reservations at Hotel Cipreses and paid in full for 1 night. After a 7 hour road trip on unpaved, pothole roads in the dark , stopping at 3 payphones that didn't work to try to get help in finding the place we finally arrived at the hotel at 11:30 PM only to be told by security they were closed for the night and we could not get into our room. The next morning after "sleeping" in our rental car we spoke to the manager only to be told "it happens all the time". We asked for our money back and after many call and emails we still have gotten nowhere with the owner.

Has this happened to you?

Please let us know.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

1. It's not the hotel's fault that it took you 7 hours to get there and got lost, etc etc and showed up at 11:30 pm.

2. It IS their problem if they don't say anywhere on their website or on your reservation that the front desk is closed after a certain time.

3. If you prepaid, then that's a problem. Hotels will often give a discount if you pre-pay or ask for prepayment in very busy times. This guarantees them payment in case of a "no show" which I guess they thought you were.

4. I don't know where you were that you found 3 payphones that didn't work. Were there no restaurants or internet cafes open along the way?

5. I think your only chance of getting any money back is with your credit card company. Your room should have been your until 11 am or so - and maybe ask for late checkout - so you could have had a couple of hours sleep and a shower, at least Did you do that?

I looked at Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel and didn't find anything similar to what you experienced. Did the manager tell you if their closing time was posted anywhere?

Anyway -- I am sorry for this experience. It's not a lot of fun having something like this happen on your vacation.

Out of curiosity -- where were you coming from the it took you 7 hours to get there? Most of the ways to get to Monteverde are pretty straightforward, although the roads in the area are notoriously bad.

Yorba Linda...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

I appreciate your answer but without my entire story you have no right to turn this around onto me I am the one who was wronged by the hotel . I would like to get an answer from a fellow traveler not from someone who is likely associated with the hotel and is trying to turn this into my problem.

Thank You

Edited: 04 April 2012, 01:26
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

It is too bad that that happened to you and it is not your fault at all. The hotel had your paid reservation and you should have gotten a room, no matter what. The guard should have had a way to give you your room. It is poor customer service and the worst is they did not even gave you a refund. For very late arrivals it is always best to let the hotels know ahead of time. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Joe - I didn't blame you. I was trying to look at the whole situation. You may not have read past the first paragraph. I was inquiring about whether you actually spent any time in your room once someone showed up at reception. You had paid for it so it seems logical to me that you might have used it somewhat. You didn't make it clear in your post.

I don't work for this hotel, am not associated with it and have never seen it.

Sorry I attempted to make some suggestions - it won't happen again.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 02:19
Yorba Linda...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

We did not get into any room at anytime and the hotel gave us the directions which resulted in us being lost. All I want is a refund for the hotel stay we never received and the owner is not responding. I do not want this to happen to anyone else that is why I am posting. Bad business should result in Bad reviews.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

That is very poor customer service, it is easy enough to pass on the reserved guests list for ones that have not checked in by closing time to the guard and give him a key / room number and do the formalities in the morning.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Federal Way...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Joe Thanks for posting we are going back to Costa Rica but we are NOT going back to Hotel Cipreses Monteverde. In 2010 my boyfriend and I had a similar thing happen to us we could not find the Hotel and when we called and said we were on our way the front desk informed us that we had already lost our room for not showing up. It was a Saturday night at around 9:00 PM and we were flabbergasted to be told this we did find the Hotel about 15 minutes later and went directly to the front desk and said we wanted a refund and they refused. We disputed it with our credit card company and the hotel told them we never showed up or called. More people need to post and let others know to steal your term what a bunch of "scammers" this "family business is. They are just preying on tourists.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 23:54
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Cat M and Joe T -- Be sure to write a review recounting your experience. When I looked at the reviews, I didn't see anything like this so writing about it will warn other people thinking of staying there.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Agree completely with Thomas and Hattie, this is a very poor show. Writing a review may be the only thing left for you.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has Anyone else had problems at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde ?

Cat M that is inexcusable they should either give you the room or give you a refund, they cant have it both ways… Agree with Hattie many people look at reviews but not at a forum, best leave a review.