We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

I'm trying to determine the best route to Monteverde from Liberia. I plan to be in a regular passenger vehicle. I have searched the forum and have a preliminary conclusion, but recent info would be great.

It appears that route 606 via Sardinal is the better-quality route and is easily drivable by a regular passenger car.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5120…

But route 145 via Cinco Esquinas is more direct. I also like to take different routes coming and going to cover more scenery. This post suggests the route can be done in a regular passenger car.

tripadvisor.com/…43135054

Does anyone have recent experience with this routes, particularly 145? Any guidance greatly appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

I drive most of the time by Sardinal 606...but the 145 is in good condition...of course common sense...and ask locals once there to see how the road condition is that day...secondary in Costa Rica are like rivers...they can change overnight...

145 by Junta de Abangares is in good condition...just be sure still is the day of your drive...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

The 606 was freshly paved in 2011, very smooth drive till the junction for Guacimal. Then it becomes rough. Just drive slowly and be careful of any oncoming traffic. On your return if the weather will be good take 145 as you will already have first hand experience with Monteverde dirt roads.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

Thanks roadadvisor and xeles for the tips. I plan to verify the condition of 145 locally and use it either coming or going.

Mexico
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

How about the 605 from lagartos going through PIta, Sarmiento? Do you recommend that road? and the one north from Canas 142. My hotel recommended those two.

Thank you

Geoffroy

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

I just arrived back from the Costa Rica trip. Both the 145 route via Las Juntas and the 606 route via Sardinal are easily drivable in a regular vehicle. (I was driving a Toyota Yaris.) The 145 route has sections where the road surface is large stones, making it a rough drive. Most of the time it was not possible to go faster than 40 km/h. The road has some rough stretches with large loose stones and occasional spots that you need to drive around. But it was no problem for the Yaris.

Route 606 is somewhat better - not as rough and fewer large stones. My advice is to take whichever route is the shortest since the road quality is similar and both are easily driven in a regular passenger car.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

Max, thanks for you coming back with updated report on road conditions. Indeed very useful.

London ON
Level Contributor
281 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

We are driving from Coco to Monteverde via Las Canas/Tilaran in a few weeks.

What is the road (hwy 606) like from Tilaran to Santa Elena? I have reviewed numerous fourms and I have also checked Google earth and the elevations changes on either side of the road do not appear to be very great.

I know it is slow going and not paved, but I am concerned (phobia) with steep dropoffs.

The Google earth on my computer does not have clear pics of the road from Cabeceras to Santa Elena. Google Earth shows the rest of the drive looks fine - lots of sharp curves, but I can handle curves

Thanks for any clarification

Edited: 27 January 2013, 15:21
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

Don't worry about drop offs. If you are a driver then keep your eyes on the road and try to anticipate a vehilce on the other side of the sharp turn. Use your horn if in doubt. If you are passenger then enjoy the views in horizontal ways. Personally I do not remember that there were any significant drop off visible or that would have scared me. Others might have different opinions.

9. Re: Liberia to Monteverde: taking route 145 vs. route 606

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:17