We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

I was reading it is not recommended to drive out of Monteverde at dark time. I guess this is just a recommendation for tourists, right? I have a private shuttle from Monteverde to Peace Lodge at evening and wanted to verify it is safe.

Forest Alive
Sightseeing Tours
Pasion Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Nasua Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Sky Adventures
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

The road down Monteverde is not easy to drive during daylight less so over night. Local drivers should know their way around; yet not all are professional and safety oriented and have their vehicles in top condition. With a reliable driver I would go; but it should really be someone I trust, best from knowing him/her from previous trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

Thanks. Sunset is at 17:47. If we take the shuttle at 17:00 is it enough time to be after the "hard" road part when its dark?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

Which way are you taking? If toward Tilaran then no, you will still be on rough road. If toward Sardinal then yes, after Guacimal it is newly paved and nice road.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

We are going from Monteverde to Peace Lodge near Poas. According to Google Maps we should go south on road 606 (though maybe a local driver would choose a different road?). For our route, which departure hour reduce the need to drive in dark in a dangerous road?

BTW Our hotel has ordered a driver from a company called Avila, in case you know something about their safety record.

Thanks again!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

Sorry, have no idea about Avila. South on 606 and reaching PanAm 1? Then you are OK as the paved road started soon after junction with road 605. If you would go 606 toward 145 and then Tilaran, you should start at least 16:30. Safe ride!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

Thanks a lot!

7. Re: Driving Monteverde at night (private shuttle)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:23