We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

We are looking to go to Cahuita after leaving Monte Verde. What is the best/economical way to get there? Public bus? We would like to go later in the afternoon so we don't wast a whole day traveling. Also we would appreciate some suggestions on places to stay and what your suggestions would be on things to do. Thank you all so much for your advise and suggestions!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

Sorry, but getting from Monteverde to Cahuita is kind of tricky. You will need to head back towards San Jose and catch a bus there. I doubt that you can even find a shared van shuttle for that route without going Monteverde-San Jose and San Jose - Cahuita. Take a look at www.interbusonline.com or www.caribeshuttle.com and maybe email them.

Otherwise, you would need to either rent a car and drive yourself or take private transportation. If you want to leave later in the day, then private transportation by all means. It's an 8-hour trip so this will be your only choice if you want the whole day in Monteverde.

If you are going to Arenal also, then it would be a lot easier to get to Cahuita from there so you could go Monteverde - Arenal - Cahuita.

I also wouldn't look at the trip from Monteverde to Cahuita as a "wasted day." You will go through a lot of Costa Rica and be able to see and learn and enjoy much. Plus amazing scenery.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 17:49
Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

I think from the sound of things we are going to Plan B which is a beach on the Pacific side. Is there any beach that is less crowded you would recommend? We do enjoy learning about the culture and experience of a country we visit so I agree the travel time would not be wasted time!

Thank you

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

Perhaps one of the beaches of the Nicoya Peninsula? Look here for more information: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

For distances and travel times, www.yourtravelmap.com

4. Re: Travel from Monteverde to Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17