We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review July 2014

manchester uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Trip review July 2014

Thought I would write a review as information regarding this lovely resort is hard to come by.

We have stayed in Dalyan for the last 2 years and love her beauty but this year fancied somewhere new, we were not disappointed.

We stayed in a 3bed traditional Turkish house in the top part of town which had spectacular views of the Gokova plains and the local woodland. The top part of town includes the ppt, supermarket, Wednesday produce market, a few little cafe bars, butchers which sells rotisserie chickens and a fab bakers for your morning loaf and other goodies. Here you can also get a cab to cinar beach for around 40tl return.

We loved the walk down to the beach through the pine forest which brings you out at the edge of the ice cold Azmak river, where the locals sit with their families, BBQ, picnic and swim. We preferred the little beach over the wooden bridge as it was much quieter with more space. A little shop there sells snacks and water etc but no toilets. You can also walk to the kitesurfing beach from here. Please note that you do need to wade through the river mouth for some of the way but it is only thigh deep at worst! My 15 yo son did a 3day kite surfing course with Kitebase Gokova who we found very professional. They also gave him a free day full hire free of charge. Excellent fun!

We loved the kite beach.....very cool place to hang out and people watch.

Evenings were spent in town. Loads of cheap and delicious food with much better value for money than Dalyan. Recommendations must go to Golden roof, ramones, Mevs and Gordos. All lovely food, great service and huge portions! Wine good price and very palatable too.

Loads of little bars, some playing live Turkish music with great hospitality. One of our favourites was the bar playing black and white silent movies on a screen outside, couches and Hubba pipe sealed the deal!

Many smaller kebab type shops selling good food. And some stalls selling corn on the cob, mussels, ice cream waffles etc. not to be missed.

Loads of great little shops. Loved the antique shop/stall....could have spent a fortune.

We did a gullet cruise with captain 1. He is one of the boats who doesn't ram hundreds of folk onto a 3 storey boat with blaring dance music all day long! He looked after us impeccably, we were treated to a lovely lunch, around 6 swim stops and didn't return until sunset which was spectacular. The boat isn't luxurious but we had loads of room and I enjoyed it as much, if not better, as some of the previous trips I did from Dalyan.

Tips. Gokova produce market, worth a couple of hours. Take the Dolmus.

Try the ice cream tubs topped with hot almond sponge.....3tl of lush.

Kunefe Turkish desert....gorgeous.

Walk into the forestry area for lots of quiet swim platforms and picnic areas.

Loads of wildlife....keep your eyes peeled for little owls, hummingbird moths etc.

Cons. Really upset at the amount of rubbish washed up all along the beach/sea in the conservation are on route to the surfer beach.......such a shame and something should be done about it. The sand dunes along that part are beautiful and quite often you could have a bit of Akyaka to yourself but it is spoiled by the amount of rubbish :(

I loved Akayaka.....it is a cool, bohemian place to be! Loads of friendly holiday makers, kite surfers from all over the world, hippies, travellers and ace for people watching! Laid back and no hastle, just the way a holiday should be.

We will return.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 15:54
Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review July 2014

Lovely report marzookah.

We have considered staying there, as we have visited on the occasional day-trip, and found it charming.

How long did you stay for? Would you say there is enough to fill a 2-week break?

manchester uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review July 2014

Thanks Andrew.

We had 11 days in Akyaka following a week in Dalyan. I wasn't ready to come home! We shared our time between busy days on the kite beach and relaxing in the house, small beach or riverside. We toyed also with a trip to pamukale which I think you can do overnight?

All in all, I think you could find enough to fill 2 weeks but once bitten by the slow vibe of the place we were happy to just chill.

Ps. Be sure to try the Balik Emek, fish sandwiches bought off the boat near the harbour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip review July 2014

Thanks for sharing :-)

Bobbie

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip review July 2014

@marzookah

Yes, we thought that the place had a nice relaxed, chilled out vibe about it, but were just a little concerned that there wouldn't be enough restaurants and bars to keep us from becoming bored by visiting the same ones.

Thanks for the reassurance, It will definitely go on our list of possibles for next year.

Almere, Nederland
Level Contributor
250 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip review July 2014

Thx Marzooka,

Decided to book 7 nights in Akyaka in september.

Can't wait

6. Re: Trip review July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Akyaka
Recent Conversations