We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

Hi,

I could use a bit of advice -

I'm going to BKK for a wedding in a few weeks.

I have 9 days to kill on an island or two.

The plan at the moment is to head to Koh Mak & Koh Kood, but I've read that they're not as amazing as Krabi and Koh Lanta etc so am now having a rethink...

Should I fly down to see the islands further south or stick to plans and do Mak & kood???

...I'd love to know if anyone has any good ideas or advice!

Thanks alot :)

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

If you wan tto get away from it all then Koh Mak and Koh kood are good choices, far less developed than Koh lanta and the Krabi area.

You wont find deserted beaches on koh Lanta or in Krabi, you will on Koh Mak and Koh Kood.

The limestone karst scenery is very nice in Krabi, no denying that. Some amazing views around Railey and of small islands that rise vertically out of the sea. But Koh Lanta isn't anything that will make you go 'Wow'. It's a nice island with good beaches but scenery isnt as good as Koh Chang for example.

If you want to go somewhere already on the tourist trail go south, if you want somewhere that is still in the early days of development then head to Koh Mak & Koh Kood.

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

Hey Ian -

thanks for making my decision so much easier!!

Suffice to say we are Kut and Mak bound.

Another question if you have time:

We have 7 nights to spend on the islands. We've booked 3 on Kut at Captain Hook resort, then prob to Mak to stay somewhere v.cheap and cheerful for 2 nights....is it worth making room for the last 2 nights on Koh Chang? Is there much to see there??

Also, our hotel on Kut have offered full board accomodation including all food - are there plenty of restaurants on the island or should we take this option? i'd rather not if there's loads to try..

oh, and 1 more thing!

Any idea how much should we expect to pay for a boat from the islands to the mainland?

...& how easy will we find it to get to Koh Mak from Kut, and on to Chang from Mak??

Thanks for your advice!!!

:)

dakar
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

Hi,

We are just ending a trip in Koh Mak that was delightful.

We planned to go further but stayed on this island because there is much to do (specially snorkelling or attending Leng's thai cooking school one half day) and see, and the feeling here is really nice. If you want to save money go to Ban Chalay (very nice ambiant, air con rooms near the beach for 20 USD, near Makhatanee pier). If you want an unforgettable experience take advantage of rates for opening season of Cinnamon resort (www.kohmakcinnamonartresort.com), it is really worth and prices will go up very quickly.

Have a nice trip.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

For up to date info on boat services see kohmak.com. Speedboat form the mainland to Koh Mak is 450 baht, several departures each day. Koh kood - Koh Mak, take the morning speedboat from 'Bangbao Boat', gets you to Koh Mak around 10am

Buy boat tickets from your resort or any tour agent a day in advance.

On Koh Mak, cheap and cheeful - try Monkey Island. Or Baan Koh Mak - Ac bungalows - and the adjacent Koh Mak Holiday - if you want fan huts. Nice laid back place , good beach restaurant.

Remember no banks or ATMs on Koh Mak & Koh Kood. Far more shopping and activities on Koh Chang which is the largest and busiest of the islands in this area. Different, more commercial atmosphere than the other islands. ( See the Koh Chang forum on Tripadvisor or my site iamkohchang.com for more info on the island )

5. Re: Koh Mak, or down to Krabi??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ko Mak