We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crocodiles ?

Which Port Alfred hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Drummore
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crocodiles ?

My wife and I will be travelling to South Africa again in November. We have it planned to travel from Cape Town and arrive in Port Alfred two weeks later.

We then have another week at our liesure. Being a keen amatuer photographer I would really like to photograph crocodiles in the wild.

I can't find what rivers they inhabit, the first ten pages of Google only bring up about the recent crocodile escape after the recent floods.

Does anyone know of an area nearer than St. Lucia that does a "crocodile safari" .

Thanks.

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crocodiles ?

I can't think of anywhere on the south coast with crocodiles - head to Limpopo, Mpumalanga and the north easter corner of Kwazulu Natal. The winters on the south coast would be a little cold for crocs which is why you don't find them naturally here. I don't know where the general cut off for them is, but I have seen some in the Mlalazi and Tugela rivers near the sea.

I have swam in some of the rivers near Port Alfred eg Bushmans river - certainly none round there!

Drummore
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crocodiles ?

Thanks for your response Graham, I was hoping they might have inhabited the Kariega river. Back to Google lol.

Reply to: Crocodiles ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Alfred