We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Hi, I'm traveling to M Saint Michel and was looking to get from there to Bayeax. I've read about a train Pontorson - Bayeux but I can't find any information on scnf. Since I know it's not a frequent train I was trying to book it or look for other options to get from MSM to Bayeaux on the afternoon.

I can't take the Churchill shuttle since I'm arriving to MSM at 12:15 and the shuttle leaves at 1 pm. Thought about from Pontorson since it's closest to MSM

If anyone can help me I'll appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited: 16 May 2014, 04:05
11 replies to this topic
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

SNCF shows plenty of trains every day from Pontorson to Bayeux (note the correct spelling, which may be the root of your problem). It's 23.90 euros a trip and no reservations are necessary, as it's a TER train.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

thanks, I'm spelling it like that and for some reason I get only connections via Paris or LeMans or a message that they don't have info on that route. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong site? I go to sncf.com and it takes me to voyages-sncf.com

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Well, unless you give us your exact date of travel we can't check for you, but I picked a few random summer dates and found plenty of trains. I use the French www.voyages-sncf.com site.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Thanks, Its on may 21.

I just tried it with that date and nothing, then put some random date on june and with this random date it works... Hope it doesn't mean that there is no service on may!!!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

You're right. No trains that day showing up. Probably track work. You can check out taking the shuttle from le MSM to either Rennes or Dol-de-Bretagne and getting a train from either of those to Bayeux.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Thanks so much for your help, I will follow your advice...

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Good, but do keep checking for trains from Pontorson. It's possible they might add a train or two in the next few days.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

There is work on the line between Dol-de-Bretagne and Avranches until July 14 and this is affecting the circulation between Rennes and Caen:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

Here is the pdf schedule of trains on that route until July 14th:

…ter-sncf.com/Images/…29_tcm-16-100041.pdf

In the first link it says there will be replacement buses substituted for the missing trains.

You can check the schedules for this route using:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

However, even when trains are running normally there are only 3 to 4 trains a day from Bayeux to Pontorson so choice was limited to begin with. If you took the normal 7:25 train from Bayeux on May 21st (which was really the only feasible train to take to get to MSM from Bayeux) you will see that journey now takes 5-1/2 hours (with 2 transfers) and you'd arrive at Pontorson at 12:51. Then , to get back to Bayeux on the same day you'd have to take a train at 14:24 (5 hours and 11 minutes with 2 changes) or 16:09 (7 hours with 3 changes). If you won't rent a car I don't see how you'll be able to get to MSM from Bayeux during your stay.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 12:36
Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

Ah, I just re-read your post and see you'll already be at MSM at 12:15. Based on what I've said above I hope you can make alternate arrangements to get from MSM to Bayeux on the same day if you are already locked into that schedule since you won't be able to get to Bayeux unless you take the 14:24 or 16:09 trains, which as noted will take several hours.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train

And a final note. StCirq's idea of taking the bus to Rennes and a train from there to Bayeux is likely your best option but it will still take a long time. On the 21st afternoon trains depart from Rennes to Bayeux at 14:03 (5-1/4 hours, 1 transfer and an 83€ ticket price) or 17:03 (6 hours, 1 transfer and an 83€ ticket price). There are no further trains after 17:03 that day. You could take a train from Rennes to Caen at 16:37 (4 hours 1 transfer and a 47€ ticket price) and then a bus or train to Bayeux from there.

Reply to: Pontorson - Bayeaux Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pontorson