“Worst airline experience.”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Undoubtedly the worst flight experience I have ever had. I travel pretty frequently and often internationally - I am no stranger to flight delays or cancellations. My return trip to BWI from Toronto was hellish. The plane was delayed 6 hours, and they would not book a new flight for my definitely missed connection until arriving in Toronto. Of course, this meant there were basically no flights available, and I waited in a 4 hour, standing line in the middle of the night after the delayed flight to find this information out...after waiting in a cluster at customs for an hour. The whole flight was displaced and there were hundreds of people with missed connections, yet Air Canada had everyone wait in this awful line for 3 available attendants. The line moved 1 person every 20 minutes. After barely 4 hours of sleep in a hotel room later (after being up 24 hours), I had to go back to the airport and fly non-direct to a different airport entirely from BWI. Then, I find out my luggage was not put on the new plane, as I was promised it would be. So, I arrived to the wrong airport, without luggage, on the wrong day. I have complained to the airline, and they did not even respond within their allotted 30 day deadline!

I am not mad at the delay (crap happens), I am mad at the service and experience, and I will never book this airline again because of their poor handling of every situation I encountered with them. Definitely not worth the money I saved.

1  Thank thetwoofcups
Write a ReviewReviews (14,623)

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Our flight from Sydney to Vancouver was reasonably comfortable, however elbow room is non-existent, and having the centre seat of three, I had to sit twisted much of the 15.5hr flight. Cabin crew were excellent. Clean washrooms with plenty of supplies.
The return flight from Vancouver to Sydney was a vastly different flight. Being allocated the middle two seats of the four seats in the middle of the plane was the start of an unpleasant flight (blame the travel agent for this one). It is not possible for the four people seated here to eat at the same time: there is so little room. My foot space was accupied by mounting brackets for the seat in front of me. The flight attendant gave the impression he wanted to be somewhere else: not a smile all flight, and the water/drinks service was less than adequate: five offers during the 10 consecutive hours I was awake. No Kleenex in the washroom.
What a delight it was to enjoy a Qantas flight from Sydney to Melbourne after this.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We had a seats by the exit. My seat wouldn't go back my husbands was OK. I sat next to the exit door it was freezing like a block of ice. There was a cold draught all night. I had 3 blankets and was still cold, it was warmer in the toilet. I asked to be moved but people were stretched out on the empty seats so the staff wouldn't move them. I haven't been right since I came home I got so cold, we have been home a week. I am 74 so it was a bad experience. The food was not good either.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

It had been a hot, sunny day in Boston. We arrived three hours early for our flight to Halifax and were grateful for the security guard advising us not to go through security since there were "no services, nothing in there". At that point we remembered the low-ceilinged, circa 1980s, miserable Air Canada waiting area. So we went elsewhere in the airport to eat and to pass the time. As we finally went through to our gate for our 7.50pm flight, we heard announcements about the next two flights to Toronto being cancelled, apparently because of fog in the Boston area. We looked outside and it was as clear as it had been all day, but that was that, and the passengers were invited to rebook for the next day and then disappear into the night.

So what about our flight to Halifax? The plane was on the ground in Montreal and there was a chance that it might leave soon. Then came an announcement that our flight was cancelled.... but that may change. Some passengers decided to rebook for the next day and left the gate. Then we heard that our plane was on the runway at Montreal, but still not sure it would take off. Eventually, though it did. All credit to the staff for unloading the plane very quickly and getting us on board. We took off around 11pm and arrived in Halifax about 1am. So if there was fog in the Boston area that prevented flights leaving for Toronto, how was it possible for us to take off, and where was the fog, because we didn't see any.

This issue is as old as the hills - the inability or unwillingness to explain what's happening. I appreciate that new updates may bring changed information, but we can handle that if we understand the context and what is affecting the decision making. Since this was deemed to be a weather-related issue, Air Canada would accept no responsibility for passengers' additional costs. I had really thought that our flight would be cancelled, but hung on in hope, because the flight cancellation would have created multiple problems - we would have had to pay for our unused hotel room in Halifax, we would have had to find a hotel in Boston (after the two plane loads of Toronto passengers had snagged all the remaining rooms near the airport), and then we would have had to guess whether a morning flight to Halifax would be cancelled because of the weather, in which case our journey to Halifax for a one-day event would become pointless and we should just arrange to go home to Toronto...but not until 4pm because all earlier flights were filled with tonight's turned-away passengers.

For us the ramifications of a cancelled flight were both costly and time wasting. The confusing announcements and lack of a clear explanation, as well as the apparent lack of fog, left us annoyed and distrustful of Air Canada's statements. I can only reflect that, sadly, nothing has changed in this respect since I began flying with Air Canada nearly 30 years ago. Yes, maybe the other airlines are just as bad, but that's no excuse.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I flew Air Canada twice on my recent trip...and both times my luggage was lost. The personnel in the Air Canada terminal were rude and did little to go beyond minimal service to assist me. I was scared as US Customs would not allow me to return to the U,S, without the photo of my bag in their possession. Air Canada personnel were unsympathetic and, as a result, I missed my original flight. I have never submitted a negative review to Tripadvisor, but wanted to pass on this experience. I would never fly Air Canada again!

1  Thank petah