“Ennui Toward Customer Service”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 23 October 2017

AIr France will get you to your destination. After that, all bets are off. In my experience, the cabin crew is bored, at best, and seems not to care for the passengers and performs their duties in a perfunctory fashion. For trans-Atlantic passengers, that just isn't good enough.

On my recent trip, the flight was unable to land at Florence - was diverted to Bologna (although somehow the fog that caused us to be diverted did not deter my wife's flight, nor my sister-in-law's flight which were within 90 minutes of each other. Once in Bologna, Air France took nearly an hour to decide to send us by bus to Florence once we picked up our checked baggage. However, after over an hour, the baggage never showed up and we were finally told that it had gone to Florence (I wonder how that happened?). We have a nice bus ride over the Apennines (which I don't regret - very scenic, nice bus), but in Florence, once again had enormous difficulty getting our baggage. OK, so things happen. On my trip back to Boston, baggage was again a problem. Arriving in Boston, we went to the assigned baggage carousel. After 10 minutes an announcement was made that we could pick up baggage at a different baggage carousel. We waited there 10-15 minutes and were directed to go back to the original baggage carousel where bags finally started coming out after 10-15 minutes. Of course this may not have been Air France's problem, but Air France took no ownership of their passengers' confusion or irritation.

This may seem "ugly American", but it seems like a flight going into Boston could have a cabin crew who speaks more English and overhead announcements could be made in English that is understandable - not so heavily inflected with a French accent as to sound exactly like French.

And finally, boarding for Boston, AIr France handed each of the passengers an immigration form in French. A) it makes some sense to hand out a form in the language the passenger speaks/reads; B) they are unnecessary, at least for Americans, who must use the kiosks to answer the questions. My wife tells me that Delta didn't even hand out the forms - they knew the forms were unnecessary.

All this indicates to me a pattern of lack of concern for passengers.

(Food is good)

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Stephen P
Write a ReviewReviews (21,735)

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

I travelled from Manchester to Tunis via Paris. The first problem was that, even though I had a very short transfer time in Paris (CDG) myself and the check-in staff were unable to print the boarding pass for the second leg of my journey. Upon arrival to Paris-CDG I had to visit the Air France desk, wait behind two chatting staff members, get my boarding pass and run through the airport to make my flight. Usain Bolt would have been proud.

I was assured in Manchester that my baggage would arrive at my final destination. That would make sense as it is common practice and it would have been impossible to collect my baggage and check it into my second flight. However, in the world of Air Farce logic, good customer service and competent professionalism do not exist.

I arrived in Tunis and found no bag. I reported it to the baggage service. They mentioned it may be on the next flight. Still no baggage. I had no data/internet access and my phone was running low. I headed to my hotel and sent Air Farce a message. They assured me the baggage would be there the next day. The next day arrived and still no baggage. I raised the issue with a senior local Air Farce member and he informed me the baggage had not even been checked into a flight. I messaged them again and they replied saying my baggage would be on a certain flight the next day. They mentioned thy would contact me when the luggage was loaded onto the plane. I even received an SMS alert from them saying it would be on that flight. Happy days? No of course not. They didn't message me saying the baggage had been loaded and no baggage arrived.

So 3 days later, 6+ flights after mine had landed, countless messages, phone calls (from myself and friends), numerous airport visits and meetings and still nothing.

You put the people and their bags on a plane and you send them to their destination. It's like they're running and airline or something. I have to fly back with these colossal disappointments and I'm not looking forward to it. I'll certainly try to avoid flying with them in the future

3  Thank MushtaqAli
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Lounge was adequate
Equal to Lufthansa in Frankfurt but fewer showers and not as well maintained
Food so so
Air France in their usual fashion strive for moderate to below moderate and seem to hit that mark fairly consistently
In all fairness their ticket prices are equally modest

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I did not know how the travel would go with my partner as he does not like to give up control. The service from the cabin crew with our AirFrance flight was wonderful. What is not to like when you are asked if you wish an aperitif to start the meal and a cognac to end it. Yes, travel by air is not the wonderful trip now that more seats and less leg room are the norm. But this crew went out of its way to ensure we had a great experience.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank 1010CRD
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Worst airline to travel on especially flight number AF990. VERY UNFRIENDLY. Seats were very uncomfortable and so close together . It was terrible sitting in that cramped position and packed in like sardines to put it mildly. I would not ever travel on any AIRFRANCE Airlines in the future and would dissuade all my friends and families from using such a badly managed hostesses (both male and female)

2  Thank KanchanlalD